9,000-bottle Port collection for sale

Anything to do with Port.
StuartDG
Cheap Ruby

9,000-bottle Port collection for sale

Post by StuartDG »

On behalf of a client, I am offering a 9,000-bottle collection of Port with vintages back to 1847.

These bottles are part of an extensive private cellar that was established and owned by a family in the Douro Valley, where the wines still lie. The head of the family passed away some time ago and it was decided to sell the wines. The sale is being overseen by a Portuguese merchant who exports wines to the UK, so logistics are not a problem.

The owners are "open to offers" ”“ but no time-wasters please... Sensible offers only.

The list is too big to paste here but please contact me via The Port Forum or email me at stuart@stuartgeorge.net for a copy of the inventory.

Stuart George
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: 9,000-bottle Port collection for sale

Post by g-man »

StuartDG wrote:On behalf of a client, I am offering a 9,000-bottle collection of Port with vintages back to 1847.

These bottles are part of an extensive private cellar that was established and owned by a family in the Douro Valley, where the wines still lie. The head of the family passed away some time ago and it was decided to sell the wines. The sale is being overseen by a Portuguese merchant who exports wines to the UK, so logistics are not a problem.

The owners are "open to offers" ”“ but no time-wasters please... Sensible offers only.

The list is too big to paste here but please contact me via The Port Forum or email me at stuart@stuartgeorge.net for a copy of the inventory.

Stuart George
Are we talking about offers for the entire 9000 bottle lot?

Also what were the storage conditions of such bottles?
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Stuart, I have sent you an email.

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
christopherpfaff
Warre’s Warrior

Post by christopherpfaff »

if there is an average of 50 pounds per bottle (what is very low if the most bottles came from early 20th century and before), that would mean the price for the whole lot ist 450.000 pounds...

and if you drink one bottle a day, you will need around 24 years to empty this lot... (if you are still alive, when drinking one bottle port alone per day).
"An one litre bottle [of port] is the right size for two persons, if one person doesn´t drink." - Dirk Niepoort
--------
http://www.passion-port.de
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

christopherpfaff wrote:you will need around 24 years to empty this lot...
Nobody has suggested that one would not be allowed to buy other port. You’re not restricted to this 24-year supply.
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

jdaw1 wrote:
christopherpfaff wrote:you will need around 24 years to empty this lot...
Nobody has suggested that one would not be allowed to buy other port. You’re not restricted to this 24-year supply.
yea I was thinking just how sad I'd be if I'd be only stuck with a 24 yr supply.

Nothing to drink when I hit 50 =(
christopherpfaff
Warre’s Warrior

Post by christopherpfaff »

yes you are right, I would love to buy this collection, but I have to refuse, I'm actually too young for this 9000 bottle lot, I want to drink port longer than 24 years :330000:
"An one litre bottle [of port] is the right size for two persons, if one person doesn´t drink." - Dirk Niepoort
--------
http://www.passion-port.de
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

christopherpfaff wrote:yes you are right, I would love to buy this collection, but I have to refuse, I'm actually too young for this 9000 bottle lot, I want to drink port longer than 24 years :330000:
if you're too young, who's to stop you from buying this lot and other ports?

then you can ensure you're drinking port for 50+ years.
Zelandakh
Taylor’s LBV

Post by Zelandakh »

9000 bottles in 24 years?

So a bottle a day including weekends.

Sounds like a challenge. Anyone care to sponsor me?
Nick
-----