Noval 2007 - handle with care!

Anything to do with Port.
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Noval 2007 - handle with care!

Post by uncle tom »

The delivery of my N07 last friday nearly turned to disaster, when one of the cases fell apart as the delivery driver extracted it from his van..

- Fortunately no bottles broke.

..a quick glance at the remains of the offending case (which I returned for replacement) showed that the staples used to hold the lid on were much too short.

- so be very careful when handling these!

Noval have also changed the design of their six pack owc's to a squarer design; why, I don't know..

I do wish the port producers could sit down and agree an industry standard for their packaging - if you get an owc from Bordeaux, it is always the same size, with the name of the product marked on the end boards, although for some odd reaon, Claret packed in cardboard cartons tends to be printed on the side instead. This makes the cases easy to stack and organise.

Port comes in an endless variety of packagings, that makes stacking them in an orderly and efficient fashion very difficult.

I can't see that this variation adds any real appeal to the product - it's just awkward. I know that some people are attracted to presentation packagings, but is it really necessary for wines like Vesuvio to be entirely packed in those fancy (and doubtless very expensive) boxes?

Oh well..

..I think I'll go and run a band or two of packing tape round the other N07 cases..

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Re: Noval 2007 - handle with care!

Post by RonnieRoots »

uncle tom wrote:I do wish the port producers could sit down and agree an industry standard for their packaging
Amen! A standard for packaging would also call for a standard bottle (as in Bordeaux), which would inevitably mean the end of the odd and in my opinion unattractive Taylor bottle.

Luckily all your bottles survived the accident!
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

and in my opinion unattractive Taylor bottle.
Agreed. Over-tall bottles are a nuisance to rack, and they often have levels that are nowhere near the cork.

By all means play games with the packaging of standard rubies and tawnies, but when it comes to bottling vintage, a little sober restraint is called for..

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
Roy Hersh
Niepoort LBV

Post by Roy Hersh »

but is it really necessary for wines like Vesuvio to be entirely packed in those fancy (and doubtless very expensive) boxes?
Play with the design of the footlocker at your own peril. The scorn of the Al B. may come down and put a pox on your kin. :lol:
Alex Bridgeman
Fonseca 1966

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

uncle tom wrote:I know that some people are attracted to presentation packagings, but is it really necessary for wines like Vesuvio to be entirely packed in those fancy (and doubtless very expensive) boxes?
Yes, it is absolutely essential that Vesuvio should be packed in the fancy and expensive boxes.
(a) they are all the same size since 1989, so are easy to stack
(b) they come in nice protective cardboard cases, so ensuring the wooden boxes remain in good condition
(c) they are extremely well suited to reuse once empty as they look nice around the house and are the perfect size for CDs, DVDs, shoe cleaning equipment, herbs and spices, port bumpf, etc.
(d) once full on sundry items other than port bottles, they stack nicely and look decorative in the house.

So, Mr Symington, please don't change the packaging of the Vesuvio wines. I love it and use it widely around the house. When my children leave for university in a few years time, they will wonder why other children consider their choice of packing cases rather odd :)
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

I would suggest that twenty years on, the novelty is wearing off..

There are only so many uses for those boxes around the house, and I really havn't a clue what to do with all those pottery bin tags.. - how many consumers use bins with tags now..? - hardly any.. The little booklet is fun to read the first time, but you don't need a second.. third.. fourth.. fifth copy..

Mr Symington,

Please continue making presentation packs of Vesuvio for the pleasure of newbies (and AHB.. :roll: ) but otherwise, please start shipping the bulk of this fine wine in regular cases (and save us the cost of those fancy boxes at the same time..)

- Thankyou..!

Tom
Alex Bridgeman
Fonseca 1966

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

uncle tom wrote:I would suggest that twenty years on, the novelty is wearing off..

There are only so many uses for those boxes around the house, and I really havn't a clue what to do with all those pottery bin tags.. - how many consumers use bins with tags now..? - hardly any.. The little booklet is fun to read the first time, but you don't need a second.. third.. fourth.. fifth copy..

Mr Symington,

Please continue making presentation packs of Vesuvio for the pleasure of newbies (and AHB.. :roll: ) but otherwise, please start shipping the bulk of this fine wine in regular cases (and save us the cost of those fancy boxes at the same time..)

- Thankyou..!

Tom
I did grin when I read this. :lol:
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
Roy Hersh
Niepoort LBV

Post by Roy Hersh »

Don't get me wrong ... I love them too!

I find all kinds of things to use the Bin Markers for: spoon rests, coasters, hand 'em to the coat check girl at the local pub to ensure she can find my hat, adorning the fireplace and nothing better for Christmas tree ornaments!
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

AHB wrote:
uncle tom wrote:I know that some people are attracted to presentation packagings, but is it really necessary for wines like Vesuvio to be entirely packed in those fancy (and doubtless very expensive) boxes?
Yes, it is absolutely essential that Vesuvio should be packed in the fancy and expensive boxes.
(a) they are all the same size since 1989, so are easy to stack
(b) they come in nice protective cardboard cases, so ensuring the wooden boxes remain in good condition
(c) they are extremely well suited to reuse once empty as they look nice around the house and are the perfect size for CDs, DVDs, shoe cleaning equipment, herbs and spices, port bumpf, etc.
(d) once full on sundry items other than port bottles, they stack nicely and look decorative in the house.

So, Mr Symington, please don't change the packaging of the Vesuvio wines. I love it and use it widely around the house. When my children leave for university in a few years time, they will wonder why other children consider their choice of packing cases rather odd :)
To the Symington's,

What Al B. said!

And ignore that Tom guy he just hasn't had enough Port this week and knows not what he writes. :wink: :lol:
angeleyes
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by angeleyes »

I find the wooden presentation boxes for single bottles very useful for growing tomato and chilli seedlings :wink:
Mark
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

angeleyes wrote:I find the wooden presentation boxes for single bottles very useful for growing tomato and chilli seedlings :wink:
Me too, for storing flageolets 88)

The packaging that I find really annoying are those cardboard boxes; completely pointless and no-doubt as expensive as the wooden ones. Though this could be trumped by those plastic, see-through boxes that Warre's Optima is now being sold in...