Trip help

Anything to do with Port.
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Trip help

Post by g-man »

What's the best way to go from Madrid to Pinhao?
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Re: Trip help

Post by Glenn E. »

Madrid -> Porto -> Pinhao.

You should be able to find a direct flight from Madrid to Porto. From there you can either take the train to Pinhao, or rent a car and drive. I'd make that particular choice based on how long you plan to be in Pinhao and what you want to do while you're there - if you're going to be visiting Quintas and sightseeing then you'll probably want to have a car. Pinhao is very small and there's not much to do there... filling more than a day or two on foot would be difficult.
Glenn Elliott
Roy Hersh
Niepoort LBV

Post by Roy Hersh »

The flight from Madrid to Porto is v. easy and took me about 45 minutes. Then getting to Pinhao is 2.5 hours or so depending on your driving accumen. No matter what, this IS the fastest way unless you have a really fast and nimble boat.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

g-man wrote:What's the best way to go from Madrid to Pinhao?
Assuming that best does not necessarily equal fastest...Perhaps more fun than the plane would be to get the sleeper from Madrid to Lisbon, changing in the early morning to get the connecting train up to Oporto. Certainly not as quick compared to flying but would avoid the hassle of getting to/from the airports (and the aviation security) as well as saving you a night's hotel bill.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Madrid to Pinhao is about a 300 mile drive. Hire a car and spend a day admiring the fabulous scenery 88)
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

DRT wrote:Madrid to Pinhao is about a 300 mile drive. Hire a car and spend a day admiring the fabulous scenery 88)
Ditto. It's a good drive, and in my opinion less hassle than flying.
Portman
Fonseca LBV

Post by Portman »

Tritto.

I havent made this particular drive but you could start early, spend a few hours or a day in the great medieval university city of Salamanca, which is on the way, and end up in Pinhau with a great visual (the drive) and cultural (Salamanca) experience. Plus Salamanca has the best chorizo in Spain.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

g-man wrote:What's the best way to go from Madrid to Pinhao?
Helicopter.