1969 Domaine Mas Mouriane Maury

Anything but Port, this includes all wines other than fortified wines (which have their own section) even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
Forum rules
Anything but Port, this includes all non-Port fortified wines even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
RAYC
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by RAYC »

Tasted 7 July 2011 at TCP as part of the AbV II tasting

Links:

Review of the evening as a whole

San Leonardo 10yr Tawny (bottled 2010)
Barão de Vilar 20 yr Tawny (bottled 2010)
Fonseca 30 yr Tawny (bottled 1982)
1934 Dalva House Reserve (colheita, bottled 1973)
1986 Warre Colheita (bottled 2007)
Buller's Fine Old Malmsey (NV, Aus Rutherglen)
1994 Dow VP

Planning and Arrangements
Placemats

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pleasing deep red with a slight brownish tinge at edges when held to light, nose was unfortunately a little yeasty and musty - "perhaps they had trouble getting the fermentation going" (DRT/THRA). Some red fruit to taste but overwhelmed by sugar/sweetness and a general rough quality that hindered enjoyment.

Rated rather better by CHR and JGH than the rest of the group, this garnered 4 points to place it 5th out of 8 on the night.

16.5% abv
Last edited by RAYC on 15:36 Mon 11 Jul 2011, edited 1 time in total.
Rob C.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: 1969 Domaine Mas Mouriane Maury

Post by DRT »

I didn't like this at all, but am grateful to Jacob for allowing me to try my first wine of this style.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
WS1
Cruz 1989

Re: 1969 Domaine Mas Mouriane Maury

Post by WS1 »

As well as Derek I did not like this wine at all. I like Maurys or Banylus in general, but there war something yeasty that i did not like at all on this wine. Also it reminded me on very old Chateauneuf du pape wines (at lest 40 years old) being sometimes completly over the hill.
"Sometimes too much to drink is barely enough"
Mark Twain