The Glass Washing Thread

Talk about anything but keep it polite and reasonably clean.
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

I seldom break glasses which is why I object to them going cloudy. I have six crystal Champagne flutes that we had for our wedding, which are now cloudy but I can't throw them away. What to do?
Port is basically a red drink
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

I have the perfect solution for that: give them to me. I'll break them for you.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

KillerB wrote:I seldom break glasses which is why I object to them going cloudy. I have six crystal Champagne flutes that we had for our wedding, which are now cloudy but I can't throw them away. What to do?
I'm sure Jay, Tom or Jdaw can offer up some suggestions on a few seriously dangerous chemicals that would solve the problem but make your hair and fingernails fall out :shock:

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

...or you could get divorced and then get married [to Treacle] again and someone will buy you some new ones 88)
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Jay P
Fonseca Bin 27

Post by Jay P »

Derek T. wrote:
KillerB wrote:I seldom break glasses which is why I object to them going cloudy. I have six crystal Champagne flutes that we had for our wedding, which are now cloudy but I can't throw them away. What to do?
I'm sure Jay, Tom or Jdaw can offer up some suggestions on a few seriously dangerous chemicals that would solve the problem but make your hair and fingernails fall out :shock:

Derek
A sodium hydroxide base wash would certainly do it, but of course is a little dangerous (will literally turn your skin into soap if you get it on you). Various acid washes should work as well. Hydrochloric acid soaks should work well.

But for something the average person without access to nasty laboratory chemicals could do, you can find things to use. I had very good luck with a powder that came with my Calphalon cookware. There's also something out there from "Barkeepers Friend" brand that I used before that worked well. For the life of me though I cannot remember the names.

The cloudy discoloration is from lime deposits that build up over time, and come from the water itself.

Jay
Better things for better living through chemistry