Help- cheese with port

Anything to do with Port.
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Help- cheese with port

Post by g-man »

Doing a tawny ruby and lbv pouring this saturday and i need some pairings with cheeses

anybody have any specific names/brands that I can use?

need 1 blue cheese
and 1 goat cheese

I don't know many brands of bleu at all but some are saltier then others while others are really bitter, but am not sure what goes well with ports.

thanks!
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Re: Help- cheese with port

Post by Glenn E. »

g-man wrote:Doing a tawny ruby and lbv pouring this saturday and i need some pairings with cheeses

need 1 blue cheese
and 1 goat cheese
Well there's your problem, you're serving the wrong cheeses. :wink:

Get a sharp white cheddar, English Coastal cheddar if you can find it. Ford Farms (it's a blue label) makes a fantastic one.

Another excellent option is an aged gouda. 18-24 months seems pretty good. Beyond 4 years is getting a bit too intense for the Port.
Glenn Elliott
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

I would highly recommend Castello Blue, if you have that brand on your side of the Atlantic. A soft and creamy blue which I find goes very well; I usually have soft white rolls with it rather than biscuits when having it with port, though the additional sugar/sweetness typical of US bread might not go so well.
richmills
Warre’s Warrior

Post by richmills »

I agree that a good aged Gouda is great with port. Similarly I also quite like Comte or Gruyere. For blue I like anything sharp and creamy on a digestive biscuit. Lovely :)
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

thanks

I'll def look for the aged gouda and i acutally like the sound of a sharp white cheddar

these would go with tawnies/rubies?
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

g-man wrote: I'll def look for the aged gouda and i acutally like the sound of a sharp white cheddar

these would go with tawnies/rubies?
I think they go well with both... better than blue, at least. I think they're marginally better with tawnies, but that could very well be my preference for tawny Port showing through rather than any actual difference in the pairings.

Comté, btw, is essentially French cheddar. I agree that it's also a good pairing with Port, though I find that it is typically milder than an English Coastal cheddar.

Forgot to mention it before, but any double or triple crème also works pretty well, though I tend to prefer those with a ruby instead of a tawny.
Glenn Elliott
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

Glenn E. wrote:Comté, btw, is essentially French cheddar. I agree that it's also a good pairing with Port, though I find that it is typically milder than an English Coastal cheddar.
+1 for Comté - provided it is for with tawny rather then ruby port. Comté is one of my favourite cheeses, but can vary dramatically depending on age; I find the 18 month old to be delicious, while I can't stand the <=6 month old which tastes to me like rancid goats milk - so I recommend making sure it says it is well aged!
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

g-man wrote:Doing a tawny ruby and lbv pouring this saturday and i need some pairings with cheeses

anybody have any specific names/brands that I can use?

need 1 blue cheese
and 1 goat cheese

I don't know many brands of bleu at all but some are saltier then others while others are really bitter, but am not sure what goes well with ports.

thanks!
Sadly i'm too late to be useful, but I recommend Danish Blue, which is a mellow and balanced blue, less sharp than say a humbolt fog.
JoshDrinksPort
Image Port wine should perhaps be added -- A Trollope
mosesbotbol
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Post by mosesbotbol »

Best is to try a sample of what's available and go from there. Doesn't matter a suggestion if it's not a choice. Plus, you want cheeses that you actually like!
F1 | Welsh Corgi | Did Someone Mention Port?
RAYC
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by RAYC »

mosesbotbol wrote:Best is to try a sample of what's available and go from there. Doesn't matter a suggestion if it's not a choice
From my period in NYC, i seem to remember that most stuff was available without too much trouble...!
Rob C.
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

yea murray's cheese carries pretty much everythihgn
TLW
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by TLW »

g-man wrote:yea murray's cheese carries pretty much everythihgn
Murray's is wonderful. That being said, I will be even happier when they start carrying Cropwell Bishop baby stiltons. :pig: