Software that makes placemats

Organise events to meet up and drink Port.
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Re: Software that makes placemats

Post by PhilW »

pseudo-code of intended suggestion:

Change code from:

Code: Select all

/GlassesOnSheets [
 [ 0 Titles length 1 sub /e exch def /s exch def s 1 e {dup e lt e s sub 6 ge and {dup s sub e s sub 1 add dup 6 div ceiling cvi 3 -1 roll 3 copy mul exch idiv 4 1 roll 1 add mul exch idiv ne {][} if} if} for ]
] def % /GlassesOnSheets
To:

/MaxGlassesOnSheets [
  page_height_in_mm page_width_in_mm mul 12000 div
] def % /MaxGlassesOnSheets

/GlassesOnSheets [
 [ 0 Titles length 1 sub /e exch def /s exch def s 1 e {dup e lt e s sub /MaxGlassesOnSheets ge and {dup s sub e s sub 1 add dup /MaxGlassesOnSheets div ceiling cvi 3 -1 roll 3 copy mul exch idiv 4 1 roll 1 add mul exch idiv ne {][} if} if} for ]
] def % /GlassesOnSheets
No other changes (no /Multiple etc), but solves Glenn's original issue of max per page for variety of page sizes.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

That almost works for me. Alas we don’t know the paper size (/A4 and other cases needs converting) but that can be kludged.

Next table shows paper size, (Height”“2×30pt) × (Width”“2×30pt) in pt², and this divided by 64k.
/A4    419,482   6.55
/USL   404,064   6.31
/A3    885,928  13.84
/USL2  852,048  13.31
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

So a new parameter and better commenting:

/GlassesOnSheetsMaxGlassesPerSheetInDefault  6  /PaperType load dup /A3 eq exch /USL2 eq or {pop 13} if  /PaperType load /USLegal eq {pop 9} if  def  % 6 default, USLegal => 9; A3 or USL2 => 13. For all on one sheet replace with "/GlassesOnSheetsMaxGlassesPerSheetInDefault 9999 def".

/GlassesOnSheets [

% For a custom arrangement delete the next line and replace with the likes of [0 1 2 3] [4 5 6 7 8 9] [10 11 12 13]

[ 0  Titles length 1 sub  /e exch def /s exch def  s 1 e {dup e lt e s sub GlassesOnSheetsMaxGlassesPerSheetInDefault ge and {dup s sub e s sub 1 add dup GlassesOnSheetsMaxGlassesPerSheetInDefault div ceiling cvi 3 -1 roll 3 copy mul exch idiv 4 1 roll 1 add mul exch idiv ne {][} if} if} for ]

] def  % /GlassesOnSheets
(I’ve added extra line breaks here for better reading with browser wrapping.)

Objections?

And yes, I need a hard think about TN-sheet arrangements.
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

No objection; just one further thought. You could separate the user-specified version, so that all of the 'code' stays in the main untouched sections, by doing something like:

% For a custom arrangement, modify the /UserGlassesOnSheets defintion below
%   e.g.  /UserGlassesOnSheets [ [0 1 2 3] [4 5 6 7 8 9] [10 11 12 13] ] def
/UserGlassesOnSheets [] def

/GlassesOnSheetsMaxGlassesPerSheetInDefault  6  /PaperType load dup /A3 eq exch /USL2 eq or {pop 13} if  /PaperType load /USLegal eq {pop 9} if  def  % 6 default, USLegal => 9; A3 or USL2 => 13. For all on one sheet replace with "/GlassesOnSheetsMaxGlassesPerSheetInDefault 9999 def".

/GlassesOnSheets [
  % PSEUDO-CODE!
  IF /UserGlassesOnSheets != [] THEN
    /UserGlassesOnSheets
  ELSE
    [ 0  Titles length 1 sub  /e exch def /s exch def  s 1 e {dup e lt e s sub GlassesOnSheetsMaxGlassesPerSheetInDefault ge and {dup s sub e s sub 1 add dup GlassesOnSheetsMaxGlassesPerSheetInDefault div ceiling cvi 3 -1 roll 3 copy mul exch idiv 4 1 roll 1 add mul exch idiv ne {][} if} if} for ]
  ENDIF
Then for a user-specific defined layout, they just edit/move /UserGlassesOnSheets to the top and leave all the hidden workings untouched below.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

I see what you’re doing, but occasionally I actually want /GlassesOnTastingNotePages [] def.
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

jdaw1 wrote:I see what you’re doing, but occasionally I actually want /GlassesOnTastingNotePages [] def.
Could be handled:

%!PS

%% --- user section
%
% uncomment this line for manual definition; leave commented for auto definition
/userValue (red) def

%% -- main "do not touch" section
%
/autoValue (blue) def
/Value {
  currentdict /userValue known {userValue} {autoValue} ifelse
} def
%
/Courier findfont
20 scalefont
setfont
72 500 moveto
Value show
showpage
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

New version went on website earlier today. I’ll re-peruse PW’s post tomorrow.

Whilst I was at it, I looked at he code Glenn E. hadn’t liked, and no longer understood it. :oops: And then I realised that it could be done more legibly and more concisely, and in a way that allowed there to be some slight further control. Whoopee!
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

jdaw1 wrote:New version went on website earlier today. I’ll re-peruse PW’s post tomorrow.
Splendid.

Question re:

% GlassesOnSheetsMaxPerSheet: 6 default, USLegal => 9; A3 or USL2 => 13. For all on one sheet replace with "/GlassesOnSheetsMaxGlassesPerSheetInDefault 999 def".
/GlassesOnSheetsMaxPerSheet  6  /PaperType load dup /A3 eq exch /USL2 eq or {pop 13} if  /PaperType load /USLegal eq {pop 9} if  def
Are these instructions correct? /GlassesOnSheetsMaxGlassesPerSheetInDefault does not appear to be used anywhere else in the program, so setting it to 999 seems like it would have no effect.
jdaw1 wrote:Whilst I was at it, I looked at he code Glenn E. hadn’t liked, and no longer understood it. :oops:
I'm somewhat relieved to know that it wasn't just me.
Glenn Elliott
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

You quoted my draft from this thread, rather than that in the code.

% GlassesOnSheetsMaxPerSheet: 6 default, USLegal => 9; A3 or USL2 => 13. For all on one sheet replace with "/GlassesOnSheetsMaxGlassesPerSheetInDefault 999 def".
/GlassesOnSheetsMaxPerSheet  6  /PaperType load dup /A3 eq exch /USL2 eq or {pop 13} if  /PaperType load /USLegal eq {pop 9} if  def
/GlassesOnSheets [
	% For a custom arrangement replace the next line  with something of the form "[0 1 2 3] [4 5 6 7 8 9] [10 11 12 13]"
	% The code below spreads glasses evenly over the sheets, the one-larger sheets being last. For them to be early replace "floor" with "ceiling"; for them to be evenly distributed with "round".
	<< /p Titles length GlassesOnSheetsMaxPerSheet div ceiling cvi  /g 0 >> begin 0 1 p 1 sub {[exch p sub g Titles length sub exch div floor cvi {g /g g 1 add def} repeat]} for end
[/size]There are three relevant changes to the default definition of GlassesOnSheets.

1. The default used to be take-it-or-leave-it. Now it has a parameter, GlassesOnSheetsMaxPerSheet, which itself has a useful default. E.g., /GlassesOnSheetsMaxPerSheet 8 def, makes the default GlassesOnSheets as few pages as possible, subject to the limit of ≤8 glasses per sheet ⇒ ⌈ (Titles length) ÷ 8 ⌉ sheets). So /GlassesOnSheetsMaxPerSheet 999 def will put all on ⌈ ε ⌉ = 1 sheet.

2. There is comment to help use or replace the default.

3. The code is less cryptic, and admits of (slight) alteration, as described in the comments.

The manual will be updated soon.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

Hmm. Very strange, as I went to jdawiseman.com and checked the code there. Perhaps my browser had it cached? No matter.
Glenn Elliott
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

[url=http://www.theportforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=53076#p53076]Here[/url] jdaw1 wrote:! Also the position of centre header needed to be changed, for which the code had been altered to add the parameter HeaderFooterCenterRelativeX. This was then assigned to some 132 characters of code, the complication of which might suggest that the form of this parameter was not optimally chosen. (See software thread.)
Using this again for the Taylor tasting, it was suddenly obvious that HeaderFooterCenterX, so not Relative, would be much easier to use. Change made.

Edit: also see parameters used for the Taylor tasting.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

[quote="In the thread entitled ‟Parameters for the placemat software", jdaw1"]• Because the T35 and TV70 appear on both glasses sheets, they have twice as many labels as the others. Error. What to do? This could have been fixed in the parameters by making StickyLabelsNumCopies much more complicated, but that would be nasty. Of course there can’t be a !StickyLabels! equivalent of GlassesClusteredOnVoteRecorders, so it can’t be fixed that way. So instead I will code StickyLabels! equivalents to PrePourRemoveDuplicatesByWithinTitles and PrePourSortByWithinTitles.[/quote]
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

jdaw1 wrote:[quote="In the thread entitled ‟Parameters for the placemat software", jdaw1"]• Because the T35 and TV70 appear on both glasses sheets, they have twice as many labels as the others. Error. What to do? This could have been fixed in the parameters by making StickyLabelsNumCopies much more complicated, but that would be nasty. Of course there can’t be a !StickyLabels! equivalent of GlassesClusteredOnVoteRecorders, so it can’t be fixed that way. So instead I will code StickyLabels! equivalents to PrePourRemoveDuplicatesByWithinTitles and PrePourSortByWithinTitles.
[/quote]
Perhaps early on in the page processing it might be worth creating/defining a UniqueGlasses from GlassesOnSheets, which could then be used by all such later processing?
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

PhilW wrote:Perhaps early on in the page processing it might be worth creating/defining a UniqueGlasses from GlassesOnSheets, which could then be used by all such later processing?
Good idea.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Extra settings, and their defaults:

/StickyLabelsReverseOrder false def
/StickyLabelsRemoveDuplicatesByWithinTitles true def
/StickyLabelsSortByWithinTitles true def
PhilW wrote:Perhaps early on in the page processing it might be worth creating/defining a UniqueGlasses from GlassesOnSheets, which could then be used by all such later processing?
Not done, as the PrePour! and StickyLabels! settings might differ.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

In setting up the recent Taylor vertical, AHB was pouring and DRT and I were distributing. Naturally enough, the young vintages were pre-poured first, and soon enough the front rows were filled with glasses. Then the older glasses had to be lifted awkwardly behind the already-full first row. It was fiddly.

This problem could be solved by reversing the order of rows of on the sheet. AHB remarked that having the older vintages nearer would help his smelling of them.

There is already a parameter, very rarely changed, PackingDirectionVertical, which can take values /TopToBottom or /BottomToTop. So the change isn’t tricky.

However, doing this by default would rather conflict with my sense of natural order. Vintage lists start old, and have the new at the end, allowing the list to be extended with the passage of time. My sense of old-to-new / top-to-bottom natural order is quite strong is that just me?
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I had a similar thought while distributing the wines but either way the taster has to remove and replace glasses in the back row throughout the evening. For some inexplicable reason, this manoeuvre gets trickier as time goes by.

Perhaps a third parameter /TopLeftToBottomRight could be used so that the wines end up in columns of four working from left to right.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

There are currently two relevant settings.
PackingDirectionVertical, which can be /TopToBottom or /BottomToTop;
PackingDirectionHorizontal, which can be /LeftToRight or /LeftToRight.

DRT seems to be asking for another setting, PackingNestingOrder, with allowed values of /RowsThenColumns (current behaviour) and /ColumnsThenRows.

Let’s have some examples in mind.
Image Image Image Image
(These shown with glasses in current default order.)

For the first two examples, with an easy rectangular layout, any of the eight possibilities from these 2+1 parameters would make sense. So far, so good.

The third example can also cope with any of the eight parameter arrangements. But for the fourth, is the top-most glass (‘A0’) in a column of its own? Yes, I guess so. So that could work.

But what should be the default behaviour? Should it really be this:
/PackingNestingOrder /ColumnsThenRows def
/PackingDirectionVertical /BottomToTop def
/PackingDirectionHorizontal /LeftToRight def

This order seems weird to me. Just me?
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

The current default behaviour is perfect for smallish tastings so should remain the default. But the ability to produce the format that you find odd is useful for tastings where the tasting mats become elongated, such as was the case at the Taylor tasting on Friday.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

DRT wrote:The current default behaviour is perfect for smallish tastings so should remain the default. But the ability to produce the format that you find odd is useful for tastings where the tasting mats become elongated, such as was the case at the Taylor tasting on Friday.
Agreed with preference for current behaviour as default; so if adding this extension, then defaults of:
/PackingNestingOrder /RowsThenColumns def
/PackingDirectionVertical /TopToBottom def
/PackingDirectionHorizontal /LeftToRight def

(though noting AHB's preference for BottomToTop).
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

DRT, PhilW: assuming settings of /ColumnsThenRows, /TopToBottom, and /LeftToRight, in which order would the following two layouts be? (Your answer should be of the form ‟A0, D3, !”, though not necessarily starting with those two.)
Image Image
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

I’m hoping the answers are:
• G6, A0, D3, H7, B1, E4, I8, C2, F5, J9;
• D3, H7, A0, E4, I8, B1, F5, J9, C2, G6, K10.
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

jdaw1 wrote:I’m hoping the answers are:
I'd agree with both answers.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

PhilW wrote:
jdaw1 wrote:I’m hoping the answers are:
I'd agree with both answers.
+1

I'm also pleased to now know of the existence of /PackingDirectionVertical and /PackingDirectionHorizontal. This will save me from having to manually arrange the Ports in the various lists so that they come out with the oldest front left and the youngest back right! If I understand correctly, that would only require that I change /PackingDirectionVertical to /BottomToTop?

See, there really is a point to keeping up with this thread. :wink:
Glenn Elliott
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Glenn E. wrote:I'm also pleased to now know of the existence of /PackingDirectionVertical and /PackingDirectionHorizontal.
Happiness. But PackingNestingOrder is, currently, only a planned parameter. It does not yet exist.