Looking for Information.

Anything to do with Port.
Mooooony
Cruz Ruby

Looking for Information.

Post by Mooooony »

Hi, I am looking for information on this bottle of 1925 Taylor Fladgate & Yeatman Vargellas Port.I am new to the Port world and would love any information on value, how this bottle might have been distributed etc...Thank you, Joe.
Attachments
PICT0001.JPG
PICT0001.JPG (70.81 KiB) Viewed 3443 times
Last edited by Mooooony on 23:00 Fri 27 Nov 2009, edited 1 time in total.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: Looking for Information.

Post by jdaw1 »

Please could we have a zoom-in on the label? And a photograph of the bottle’s capsule?
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

What I am curious about is the "R" on it. Anyone got an idea??

What is the fill level like? and is there signs or past seepage (leakage)?
Mooooony
Cruz Ruby

Post by Mooooony »

To my knowledge I am only the second person to own this bottle. There are no signs of leakage and the fill level is just above where the bottle rounds (4 inches down from the very top of the bottle).In my other post there is an explanation from Taylor Fladgate about this bottle.
Mooooony
Cruz Ruby

Post by Mooooony »

Here is a picture of the capsule.
Attachments
Capsule.JPG
Capsule.JPG (21.41 KiB) Viewed 3396 times
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Mooooony wrote:To my knowledge I am only the second person to own this bottle. There are no signs of leakage and the fill level is just above where the bottle rounds (4 inches down from the very top of the bottle).In my other post there is an explanation from Taylor Fladgate about this bottle.
From that description it sound like the level of the wine is what we would term "bottom-shoulder", which is not a good thing for any wine as it means there is lots of air inside the bottle and a large surface area on top of the wine to allow oxidation to occur.

From the picture of the capsule it looks like the bottle is sealed with a T-cork rather than a driven cork. This suggests it is a Colheita port that was bottled many years ago with the intention that it should be drunk more or less immediately (within one or two years). Taylor are not known for producing Colheita ports and, as your other thread confirms, this is from a private batch that was made for a family member that has somehow found its way into circulation.

Given the level, the T-cork and the fact that this bottle is some decades past the time when it was intended to be drunk I don't think it will have any great value. I'm not sure how much information you passed to Taylor Fladgate before they gave you their indicative valuation of $300-400 but if they did not know about the level and the T-cork this would certainly have had a great influence on their valuation.

Sorry that this isn't great news but it seems that this is unlikely to be a great bottle of port and any value attached to it will be more related to curiosity than anything else.

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Mooooony wrote:the fill level is just above where the bottle rounds (4 inches down from the very top of the bottle).
Reading this again it could mean one of two things; "bottom-shoulder" or "base of neck". The former would mean that the level was just above the top of the main cylindrical part of the bottle, the latter being exactly what is says. Can you please let us know which you think it is?

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Mooooony
Cruz Ruby

Post by Mooooony »

The fill level is the base of the neck.Thank you for all your information, you have been a great help.