Vintage Port - newbie needs advice

Anything to do with Port.
robsauce
Cruz Ruby

Vintage Port - newbie needs advice

Post by robsauce »

Originally posted this on winespectator and got a few replies from bman and killerb that really helped, but figured I would post this again here to see if I can get any other suggestions. In the last 2 years I've taken quite a liking to Port, but mostly just Tawny's and LBV's as I just started getting into port. After buying about 10 bottles of 2000 and 2003 vintage port I figured it was about time I buy some aged-ready to drink now port and try it to see if I actually like the stuff.

So, I recently bought a bottle of 83 Smith Woodhouse and 83 Gould Campbell and was planning on opening one for a pre-christmas and birthday dinner on Dec. 24th. I have a few questions for the forums members, specifically the port guru's who have tasted both of these bottles. I'm a newbie when it comes to vintage port so any help is appreciated.

1) Is one of these bottles currently showing better than the other? Would one benefit over the other with more bottle age?

2) Based on previous tasting notes and experience, how long would you recommend decanting either bottle? The entire bottle will most likely be consumed in about a 2-3 hour window after dinner and I would like it to be showing its best during that time.

3) Going along with number 3, how long should the bottle be stood up before decanting?

Any other suggestions for someone who has never opened an aged bottle of vintage port is also appreciated. Thanks (and thanks again to those that already responded on winespectator forums)
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Welcome to TPF, robsauce :D

I just reviewed my one and only TN on the Gould Campbell 1983 and from that note I would suggest at least 6 hours decanting time.

Unfortunately, I have not had a SW83 (someone here will probably now point out that I have but can't remember) so have no basis upon which to advise which would be best.

I would suggest standing the bottle up for 24 to 48 hours before decanting, although less time than this works more often than not.

...and here is a link to some good advice on The Gentle Art of Decanting

Be sure to let us know how it goes with these bottles.

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

As a suggestion if you could buy a cheese cloth or muslin,

you can probably get away without standing the bottle up for extended periods.

I haven't had either the SW or the GC unfortunately.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I've only ever had the Gould Campbell '83 and it was very good when I drank it three years ago. As far as I am aware, I've not tried the Smith Woodhouse '83.

I belong to the school of thought that says you should stand a bottle for 2-3 days before you decant it. The reality is that I actually usually end up standing a bottle for 2-3 weeks before finally getting round to pulling the cork out. The only comment that I would add to the "standing up" question is that I sometime remove the capsule and clean up the top of the bottle the day before I intend to pull the cork. It means that you shake the bottle a little less just before opening it.

Decanting time - I can't help with these two specific ports, but if I was serving these, I would aim to give them at least 12 hours.

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Make life easy on yourself

Post by jdaw1 »

Make life easy on yourself. Own a plastic funnel, and some unbleached coffee filters. Stand for at least ten seconds; decant through funnel and filter; enjoy five hours later.