It'll be ??? before this is drinkable!

Anything to do with Port.
Conky
Fonseca 1980

It'll be ??? before this is drinkable!

Post by Conky »

How do you judge when a Port will be in its drinking window, or how long it will last there?

I know its partially guesswork, and includes the dry tannin taste, as well as previous personal experience. So does anyone fancy explaining their thoughts and feelings on a very subjective topic.

Alan
mosesbotbol
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Post by mosesbotbol »

Nothing scientific for me.

I like to see how long it lasts in the decanter and how it develops over 12 hours. Does it fall apart? Does it improve or go downhill? Are the acids and sugars present? How dark is it? How dark did it become after sitting in the decanter.
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Moses,

I may have structered my question wrongly. I was thinking more of when someone tastes a newish Port and says it should be cellared for another 20 years. Its always surprised me how they can quote such defined periods.
Or when someone tastes a Port in its drinking window, and says, this will carry on being its prime for another 30 years.

Alan
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

It's quite hard to describe in words, but not difficult to identify when drinking.

In simple terms, the window starts when the harsh young tannins soften to the point where they no longer present a detriment to the wine, and concludes when the fruit elements degenerate.

An unwelcome overlap is possible, and is often seen on the '77's, where the youthful tannins persist after the fruit has started to fall apart. This presents a wine that is growing old before it grows up - which I like to call the 'Peter Pan' effect.

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

When Port is really young it can be quite difficult to determine where its headed. The main thing in being able to determine how well a young Port will last is experience in tasting lots of very young Port.

Of course there are other things to look for, such as structure, tannins and acidic balance, body weight, fruit structure, finish, palate presence, etc. But really it comes down to prior experience tasting lots of young VPs, as those that have been to Portugal on the Harvest Trips can attest to.

Even experienced wine drinkers, who don't drink much Port, aren't the best people to look to for advice. Parker comes to mind here...as I've said before, he does a great job with wine and a not so good job with young VPs. Young VPs are such a different beast than young wine.
mosesbotbol
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Post by mosesbotbol »

If a VP can't make it 20 years, I don't want it. I think fair judgements can made at the 20 year mark. I wouldn't say after 20 years, "This port needs another 30 years before trying", but if I felt I would it was drinking well, I'd put on the drinking now list. Most cases that port would still last another 10+ years and I can always change my opinion on its drinking window.