Vesuvio 1997 for 20 GBP

Anything to do with Port.
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Vesuvio 1997 for 20 GBP

Post by Axel P »

From my sight and the recent experience I made with Vesuvio, I would recommend a buy. Here is the deal:

Quinta do Vesuvio 1997 for 20,09 GBP at Justerini.

All you have to do is ask for the 1992, which is in the list for this price. Then they tell you, that this the 92 is out of stock. If you ask for (some curtesy and) the 97 instead they might give you the 97 for this price. At least they did it in my case.

Good luck

Axel
Michael M.
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by Michael M. »

Hallo Axel,

bei dem Preis hättest du eigentlich auf die Idee kommen können, für einen niederrheinischen Nachbarn ein paar Flaschen mit zu bestellen. :wink: Dann aber bitte wenigstens eine Einschätzung des 97ers. Ist 94 wirklich sooo viel besser?

Viele Grüße
Michael
Shut Up 'N Drink Yer Port
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

Und für einen Niederländischen Nachbarn! :wink:

But seriously, that's a very good deal. I was already happy with the one bottle of '97 that I was able to buy for 45 euro, but for this price, I would buy all that I could afford.
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Michael,

AHB is our Vesuvio expert, maybe he can comment on whether the 94 is so much better, or whether it's hype, or availabilty. Alex?

Axel,

well done. Another gem snaffled at a good price.

Alan
Michael M.
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by Michael M. »

RonnieRoots wrote:Und für einen Niederländischen Nachbarn! :wink:
Also Axel, da gilt es Besserung zu geloben! :lol:

Alan, I posed this question some months ago in another forum and Mr. Vesuvio answered certainly. I am always exceptionally attentive regarding to his assessment. I hesitated until now because of a presentiment that there would be a german guy buying for a fantastic price and asking me "Michael, would you be so kind and take part...?" The german guy was there, but no question :P :)

Cheers
Michael
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by Axel P »

Michael,
natürlich hätte ich an Dich gedacht. Ich selbst bin auch nur über unseren Deutschen Maulwurf in London an den Deal gekommen. Da ich ihn aber mit mehr als einer Kiste transporttechnisch überfordert hätte, habe ich es bei einer Kiste belassen. Ich habe mir gerade eine Kiste Cockburns 94 nach D schicken lassen. Hat ewig gedauert und war echt teuer.

Vielleicht schaffen wir es ja mal, eine gemeinsam zu trinken. So weit ist MG ja wirklich nicht weg.

Ronnie,
natürlich hätte ich auch an meinen niederländischen Nachbarn gedacht (s.o.). And you are totally right: even 45 EUR is a very good price for this.

Conkie,
thanks for the words.

Axel
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Is the '94 so much better than the '97?

In my opinion and experience, yes it is but it needs a good few hours in the decanter to show at its best and I regularly score it in the range 94-96 points.

The '97 I generally score slightly lower than this, but not by much, at 92-94. Interestingly, the only time I have ever tasted the two wines against each other (on a pop 'n' pour basis) I rated the '97 as being better than the '94.

At GBP 20 a bottle, this is a no-brainer. Buy all you can afford to. Buy some for me, as well.

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
Michael M.
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by Michael M. »

Axel, ja, ein Treffen sollten wir demnächst einmal hinbekommen.

Alex, thank's for the update!