IVP seal explained

Anything to do with Port.
Rubby
Fonseca LBV

IVP seal explained

Post by Rubby »

Staring at an empty bottle of Fonseca Bin 27, I was wondering what those combinations of numbers and letters mean on the IVP Garantia seal.

In the centre of the circle there's a 6 digit number, 438465.
Above the centre there's WO.
Below the centre there's 03.

Looking at a Dow's 2000 VP, I see:
899310 / CI / 03

Can someone tell me what these mean and if any important aditional information can be learned from it?
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Rubby,

These codes are only understandable to the IDVP. There is no logical way of translating a specific label code to a particular wine. The IDVP keep this information secret to protect the product against fraudsters who would otherwise seek to undermine the integrity of their guarantee.

If you have a very rare bottle and wish to check it's authenticity from the number on the label then the IDVP will occassionaly help you out but, in my experience, this is difficult to achieve.

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

Derek is right, there is no way to figure out the numbers as they are totally random. Let me use this as an example....

There are 600 IVDP Selo de Guarantes that start with 000001 and go to 000600. Say there are 3 companies (Fonseca, Taylor, Warre) that need to bottle 200 bottles each of a port. So each company gets a sequence of 200 Selo's to put on their bottles.

Each company has to then notify the IVDP what type of port, the year, size, etc. that the seals went on. If any seals are damaged and not used, each selo number has to be reported to the IVDP that it was damaged and not used. This info is then kept by the IVDP for future use, if needed.

It is a pain in the rear for producers to deal with at times. also, the IVDP inspectors can and do show up unannounced at any time to inspect the facilities. Sometimes they will inspect the same place twice in one day :shock:
Rubby
Fonseca LBV

Post by Rubby »

Thanks for the info!
Seems like a lot of extra administrative work for the port companies, but I guess it helps keeping the non-ports out.
Frequently Ask Questions
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

Because the punter has no easy of way of checking the numbers on these seals, which are easy to forge, they are pretty much useless.

They also make it impossible to use embossed wax capsules on the bottles, and when placed under a foil capsule, they spoil the seal and can act as a wick from a cork that is beginning to weaken.

I would love to see them replaced with a proper security system (like the duty paid seals now on British spirits bottles) - incorporated into the bottle's back label.

Looking at the technology now available, one could also consider putting a chip on the top of the cork (similar to that used on credit cards) before the capsule is put on. This would make it possible to check the identity and authenticity of the bottle without disturbing it - for years to come.

The only snag is that all the world's quality wine makers would need to be persuaded to sign up to a single system. The port producers would probably go with the flow, but can you see Napa and Bordeaux agreeing to share the same technology... :?

Tom

PS If this seems too involved, remember that it can also be used to prevent shoplifting, so the supermarkets would be favourably impressed..
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Tom,

This would take all the fun out of buying Unknown Shipper, Unknown Vintage bottles in 100 years time :lol:

I like the seal, useless though it may be in proving the authenticity or quality of what is inside the bottle.
The up side to the wicking effect is that you know the cork has lost its seal thereby allowing you to weed out the bottles that need to spend a short time on Death Row :twisted:
Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

And the seals allows me to find precious bottles from about 100 yards away in a store.
Rubby
Fonseca LBV

Post by Rubby »

ADV wrote:And the seals allows me to find precious bottles from about 100 yards away in a store.
:lol: True. That and the painted Kopke bottles.
Frequently Ask Questions