Port Tasting Notebooks Now Available

Anything to do with Port.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Port Tasting Notebooks Now Available

Post by JacobH »

A little over a year ago, I posted here with some plans for designing a Port tasting-note notebook which could be used to record tasting notes in a way which would be easy to consult in a tasting.

I had a copy printed early last year, have been using it since and am rather pleased with it. It allows me to look through old tasting notes and see at-a-glance if (e.g.) all Dow 1977s I have drunk have been corked (mostly true); whether 1975 is a waste-of-time (mostly untrue); and whether the Taylor’s Finest Reserve Ruby is actually quite nice (definitely true).

Anyway, at the last tasting in London a couple of participants expressed an interest in having one, so I tidied it up a bit and had some copies printed (blank, for the avoidance of doubt, rather than with my notes inside). They have just arrived and I wondered if anyone else from :tpf: would like one?

The book starts with a few pieces of reference: a list of declarations since 1850, the quintas of the major shippers, a suggested abbreviation scheme (based on jdaw1’s), and some information about the grapes used in Port. There are then three pages for notes for the following:
  • pre-1918 and pre-1950 general declarations (6 pages);
  • every major declaration from 1955 to 2007 (54 pages);
  • minor years pre-1919 and pre-1950 (6 pages);
  • minor years by decade from 1950 - 2019 (18 pages);
  • Basic, 10-, 20-, 30- & 40-Year-Old Tawny (12 pages);
  • Pre- and Post-1970 Colheitas (6 pages);
  • Crusted Port (3 pages);
  • LBV Pre-1980, pre-2000 and post-2000 (18 pages);
  • Ruby, White, Oddities and Miscellaneous (18 pages);
  • Extra notes (16 pages)
And a page for noting revealed bottles in blind tasting.

The notebooks are designed for maximum usability. They are: A5 so that they are small enough not to get in the way but large enough to be able to be written in easily; spiral bound so that they can be folded open; and have a colour cover on glossy card. Inside bold headings on each page makes it easier to find the section you need.
notebook_photo_web.jpg
notebook_photo_web.jpg (73.25 KiB) Viewed 5665 times
If anyone would like a copy then please let me know. Printing and postage to the UK works out at about £7.50 per book; about £8.50 to the EU, and about £10 to the USA. I have a Paypal account which might make it easier for any Americans who would like one. Just for the avoidance of doubt, this is approximately the cost price; I am not trying to make a profit from it!

As before if anyone would like a custom one (e.g. with a bias towards wood rather than vintage Port or arranged by shipper rather than style) then just let me know. Equally, if anyone has their tasting notes in an Excel spreadsheet or some sort of database, I can have them pre-printed in the book quite easily; just drop me a line.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: Port Tasting Notebooks Now Available

Post by DRT »

Jacob,

This is a splendid idea - well done!

I would like to buy on of the default copies, please, and will make an effort to get my TNs up to date in an excel spreadsheet and order a bespoke copy at a later date if that is OK?

Thanks
Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

Derek, one copy is yours; shall I bring it to a future tasting for a hand-over or would you prefer it posted?

Whenever you have your spreadsheet sorted out, just let me know!
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Thanks, Jacob. Please just bring it along the next time we meet.

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

DRT wrote:Thanks, Jacob. Please just bring it along the next time we meet.
Will do!
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by Axel P »

jacob, I would like to have 3 copies, please. Can you send those to me?

Axel
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

Of course. Could you drop me a line with the address so I can work out the cheapest way of getting them to you? It might make sense to have them delivered straight by the printer to Germany.
furrybug
Cruz Ruby

Post by furrybug »

You might consider trying one of the print on demand sites like BookBaby. It truly looks like a winning idea; and on that note I would like one as well. I am in the States. You can email me at qfinecabinetry@gmail.com, to get it figured out.

Thanks,

Kevin
"Survival is for Cowards"
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

furrybug wrote:You might consider trying one of the print on demand sites like BookBaby. It truly looks like a winning idea; and on that note I would like one as well. I am in the States. You can email me at qfinecabinetry@gmail.com, to get it figured out.
Thanks. Yes, I’ve been thinking about that but few print-on-demand services offer spiral-binding which I think is essential. Lulu is one possibility though, and means I can get the price down a bit to the US since they can print over there and deliver.

I’ve sent you an email about it; essentially we’re looking at about £8.00 a book to the US (with the money via. Paypal).
oscar quevedo
Fonseca LBV

Post by oscar quevedo »

I Jacob, I want two of your Port Tasting Notebooks (need to give one to my sister), so please let me know the easiest way to get it. Paypal works for me too!
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

oscar quevedo wrote:I Jacob, I want two of your Port Tasting Notebooks (need to give one to my sister), so please let me know the easiest way to get it. Paypal works for me too!
I think the easiest way of getting them to Portugal is to have them sent directly from the printers. If you could PM me the delivery address I'll order them and send you my paypal details!

If you'd like some changes on account of being in Portugal (e.g. more pages for the different tawny Ports and having the colheitas in more sections than just pre- and post-1970) then just let me know!