2000 Quinta do Mourao (S. Leonardo)

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
winesecretary
Fonseca 1980

2000 Quinta do Mourao (S. Leonardo)

Post by winesecretary »

2000 Sao Leonardo

P'n'd'n'p

Very heavy sediment

A full deep rose at the rim, 70 per cent opaque.

Nose is bright with violet and grape, reminiscent of the Warre of the same vintage.

Immediate entry is soft and then oodles of cherries turn up, firstly as is, then with toasted almonds scattered on them, and finally (finally, that is, for the mid palate) with kirsch.

Finishes marmalade then a bit of 85 per cent Lindt and finally tobacco.

To all intents and purposes this is ready to go. And it is more than merely very pleasant.
Last edited by winesecretary on 11:24 Sun 04 Dec 2022, edited 1 time in total.
winesecretary
Fonseca 1980

Re: 2000 Sao Leonardo

Post by winesecretary »

+68 hours

With samples taken at daily intervals, this has presented a rather different character on each occasion tasted. The last glass, now being consumed, has taken on a note that my mind files as 'Portugese port house' port - a combination of fig jam and mi-cuit prune. It is still pleasant, but my recommendation would be to drink it sooner after opening than this, as it was at its most exciting on the first and second evenings.
Last edited by winesecretary on 11:25 Sun 04 Dec 2022, edited 1 time in total.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Re: 2000 San Leonardo

Post by Glenn E. »

FWIW I'm pretty sure the brand is São Leonardo, not San Leonardo. I believe that San would be the Spanish spelling.

Confirmation is complicated by the fact that Mourão themselves always refer to it as S. Leonardo.
Glenn Elliott
MigSU
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Re: 2000 San Leonardo

Post by MigSU »

Glenn E. wrote: 19:30 Sat 03 Dec 2022 FWIW I'm pretty sure the brand is São Leonardo, not San Leonardo. I believe that San would be the Spanish spelling.

Confirmation is complicated by the fact that Mourão themselves always refer to it as S. Leonardo.
Correct on all fronts. But I got curious and perused their website. Here I found the following text:
A origem da nossa Marca "São Leonardo" teve início nas Quintas da Costa e Poisa. Duas famílias viviam ali, uma em cada quinta, cujos caseiros eram irmãos.
So I suppose this settles it.
winesecretary
Fonseca 1980

Re: 2000 Sao Leonardo

Post by winesecretary »

Corrected (-ish), thank you.