Seeking Port advice

Anything to do with Port.
onedannyh
Cruz Ruby

Seeking Port advice

Post by onedannyh »

Clearing out my late grandad’s booze cabinet and have come across some unopened Niepoort 20yr old tawny bottled 1985; Niepoort LBV 1975 (bottled 1979); a bottle of Dow’s LBV 1982; and a bottle of tawny port selected for Christ’s college cambridge from circa 1985.

I know nothing about port but figured you guys might - are these considered worth hanging on to/selling/cracking open and drinking?

I also found some excellent cognac from the 1960’s which I do know lots about - cheers Grandad!
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Re: Seeking Port advice

Post by PhilW »

Hi, and welcome to TPF.

These are not valuable bottles, but they should still be decent drinking if they have been kept well (cool, dark, constant temp).
With possible exception of the Niepoort 1975 LBV (I'll come back to that), these bottles were intended for consumption after bottling, and will not improve in the bottle; that said if they have been kept in good cellar conditions they should drink well; if they have been kept in garage or heated house then I suspect the tawnies will still be fine, but the LBVs would not (not that trying will harm, they just might not have much colour/flavour if degraded).

Going back to the Niepoort 1975 LBV - this is the one bottle here that has the potential to have improved with age (as they are unfiltered); if this has been well-cellared, then this bottle may be very fine drinking.

Christ's tawny - probably a relatively basic tawny; should be ok to drink, likely uninspiring.
Niepoort 20yr tawny - should be very tasty
Dow 1982 lbv - likely to be poor at this point
Niepoort 1975 lbv - could be delicious if it has been well stored

Hope that helps.
onedannyh
Cruz Ruby

Post by onedannyh »

Magic - thanks. Very helpful, I’ll get drinking then
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

I doubt the 1982 Dow will be poor, but as Phil said it wasn't meant to be stored long term. It might have improved somewhat for a few years during the 1980s and early 1990s, but then likely started a slow slide down the hill.

Like the Christ's tawny, it will probably best be described as "fine" when you drink it. It won't taste bad, but it will probably be fairly uninspiring and plain.
Glenn Elliott