Paul Symington CMG

Anything to do with Port.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Paul Symington CMG

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

We should congratulate Paul Symington on being made a Companion of the Most Distinguished Order of St Michael and St George.

The citation on the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office website reads:

Lately Chairman of Symington Family Estates and John E Fells & Sons, receives a CMG [Companion of the Most Distinguished Order of St Michael and St George] for services to UK and Portugal relations and Social and Environmental Sustainability in the Douro region of Portugal.

Paul Symington is recognised for an exceptional and sustained contribution as the former Managing Director, then Chairman, of Symington Family Estates in the Douro Valley, Portugal. During Mr Symington’s period as Chairman, he and his cousins transformed the company from a medium sized producer into a thriving business, becoming the world’s largest Port wine producer. He and his family also spearheaded an ambitious long-term sustainability strategy, which has seen the company become the largest organic wine producer in the north of Portugal, invest in innovative research and development to adapt to climate change and deliver a 20-year programme of social impact initiatives in the Douro region.

Although recently retired, Mr Symington remains closely connected to his family business and a powerful advocate for the many social and environmental causes that he has championed throughout his career. His principled approach to business and very public attachment to British values have greatly enhanced the UK’s reputation in Portugal.

On learning of his award, Paul Symington said:

"I was born less than 100 metres from the Douro river and my family has been dedicated to this great wine region for centuries, so it was with pride that I learnt of this award as I have always striven to enhance the ancient friendship between the UK and Portugal."
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: Paul Symington CMG

Post by jdaw1 »

Doffs hat.
Woolley: In the [civil] service, CMG stands for “Call Me God”.
And James Bond was a CMG.
MigSU
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Post by MigSU »

^^ I love that scene.
winesecretary
Fonseca 1980

Post by winesecretary »

... as I recall

KCMG - Kindly Call Me God
GCMG - God Calls Me God
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Sincere congratulations to Paul, very well deserved.

Given the undercover credentials, does that make his uncle Quarles Harris "Q"?
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Paul Symington
Cruz Ruby

Post by Paul Symington »

Thank you all for you kind comments. This was a bit of a surprise, but good for Port and for our region.

I shall certainly check to see if Uncle Reggie (Reginald Quarles Harris) was moonlighting at MI5 as Q instead of doing his proper Port job.

Paul