Non-wine costs

Anything to do with Port.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Non-wine costs

Post by jdaw1 »

The Wine Society wrote:The fixed costs of wine production and duty are similar for all wines, whatever the price bracket. It follows, therefore, that the more you spend, the more (proportionally) goes to the actual value of the wine. For example, less than 5% of the cost of a £4.95 bottle goes into the wine itself; spend £14.95 and this rises to 43%. Increasing your spend from £6 to £9 (50%) delivers approximately a 200% increase in the value of wine in the bottle. And you can taste that difference. That is why so many of our wines are in this quality (and value) heartland.

The graph below shows the exponential rise in value as you spend more. The figures quoted will vary a little from merchant to merchant and from wine to wine, and will of course change as costs and duty fluctuate. We show the breakdown for a £4.95 bottle even though we no longer sell wine at this price. Hopefully the graph illustrates why!

Source
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: Non-wine costs

Post by DRT »

It would be nice if they each added up to 100%
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Re: Non-wine costs

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Along a similar thought, I recently got some bottles of Port out of storage. As you do, I’d bought some Port cheaply during a Tesco sale, had no-where to store it at home so punted 6 bottles over to Seckfords.

I’ve decided my Graham Crusted Bottled 2002 is probably now ready to drink. I paid £9 per bottle to buy these in December 2010 and £9 per bottle in storage fees.

Would I pay £18 per bottle for 2002 Crusted - actually, I might. 20 years of bottle age on a Crusted Port should make for a lovely glass of wine.

I will report back when I open one.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.