A cork pusher

Anything to do with Port.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: A cork pusher

Post by jdaw1 »

DRT wrote: 20:34 Mon 03 Jan 2022Having given this a little more thought I think I would want to be able to use this device with one hand so that the other hand can be grasping the bottle to avoid it ending up on the counter top or floor if the cork gave way suddenly and unevenly.
I haven’t understood what consequence came of the one-handedness.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

flash_uk wrote: 21:36 Mon 03 Jan 2022Late to this discussion, the most important design factor in my mind is the piston width. As others have already noted, pressure at the cork edge is paramount to prevent a ripped/hollowed cork. Given this, should there be some way to have varied piston widths?

How about four pistons, 14-17mm, each 20mm long, but with holes drilled through at 2, 4, 8mm. Supply with a round bar that slots into the drilled hole, to stop the piston in the bottle neck at the desired depth.

Said round bar could be stored vertically in one of the pistons.
More complicated to make, and a piece to be lost.

Bottles seem to have a necks of at least 17mm, so 16mm will fit all. If your bottle is very wide, the pusher can be rotated to round to apply pressure at the edges.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

DRT wrote: 20:28 Mon 03 Jan 2022
jdaw1 wrote: 20:00 Mon 03 Jan 2022Should one of the keyring/hanging holes be replaced with a bottle-opener hole?
Yes.
Comparing with bottle openers chez Wiseman, they all seem to have an aperture wider than 16mm. So perhaps the suggestion, despite enthusiasm, is withdrawn.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

jdaw1 wrote: 22:16 Mon 03 Jan 2022
  • {4, 2, 8}: JDAW
  • {2, 4, 8}: DRT, PW
Pls vote.
I agree with Phil and Derek that I would probably most often use the 4mm piston, so would prefer for it to be in the center.

I feel that many stuck corks might easily compress sufficiently to absorb the 2mm depth.
Glenn Elliott
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

PhilW wrote: 11:00 Mon 03 Jan 2022 I (almost) never push the cork all the way in since the top of the cork can often be grubby and I would be concerned about potentially contaminating the wine, and would use tongs if possible instead in that scenario.
The grubbiness of the top of a cork is an issue. I seem to be able to manage it by diligently cleaning with cloth or green scratchy or even scraping the top carefully with a knife before pushing the cork in.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

As of 22:55 Mon 03 Jan 2022. Volume ≈ 5970 mm³. Aluminium density ≈ 2710 kg m⁻³ ⟹︎ weight ≈ 16.2 g.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Some non-TPFers are being asked for an opinion, so ordering likely won’t happen this week. Perhaps next.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote: 22:17 Mon 03 Jan 2022
DRT wrote: 20:34 Mon 03 Jan 2022Having given this a little more thought I think I would want to be able to use this device with one hand so that the other hand can be grasping the bottle to avoid it ending up on the counter top or floor if the cork gave way suddenly and unevenly.
I haven’t understood what consequence came of the one-handedness.
this relates to your suggestion of placing the 2mm piston in the middle but would apply regardless of that. Your description made me think of an unsupported bottle standing on a worktop or table with a user grasping the pusher-in-thing with two hands bearing down on the cork. A minor slip would lead to disaster. I want a hand on the bottle.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

DRT wrote: 00:50 Tue 04 Jan 2022this relates to your suggestion of placing the 2mm piston in the middle but would apply regardless of that. Your description made me think of an unsupported bottle standing on a worktop or table with a user grasping the pusher-in-thing with two hands bearing down on the cork. A minor slip would lead to disaster. I want a hand on the bottle.
Hence my confusion. I had envisaged always always this device being one-handed, so that the other hand could firmly grasp the absence of disaster. Maybe I should have said that explicitly.

Still, marginally easiest to use with the middle piston.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

It occurred to me yesterday that if you wanted to produce a prototype of this with minimal tools, some thumb screws with a 16mm flat head might do the trick. They don’t make one with a 2mm thick head but do make them with 3.5mm ones and 9.5mm ones which is pretty close to the sizes being discussed here. You could probably produce something quite close to the finished product by taking a piece of 2mm flat steel bar; drilling & tapping a couple of holes in it; screwing these in; and then cutting the thread flush with the back of the plate.

https://www.berger-tools.co.uk/Hand_Kno ... ess_Steel/

DRT wrote: 00:50 Tue 04 Jan 2022this relates to your suggestion of placing the 2mm piston in the middle but would apply regardless of that. Your description made me think of an unsupported bottle standing on a worktop or table with a user grasping the pusher-in-thing with two hands bearing down on the cork. A minor slip would lead to disaster. I want a hand on the bottle.
I appreciate it might sound a bit less glamorous than this tool but I wonder if a M16 bolt would do the trick for one-handed operation since you could push straight down whilst holding the bottle in the other hand. A nut would allow you to set the maximum depth, too.
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

With apologies for my poor drawing skills, two images to try and help show (a) the minor mod I was suggesting, and (b) how it could be easily extended into addition of bottle opener without additional complexity if wanted.

(a)
pusher1.jpg
pusher1.jpg (40.79 KiB) Viewed 6019 times
The intention by widening the end slightly is to allow the device to be used horizontally to push with the pistons per JDAW original concept, but also to allow use vertically (perhaps after freeing the cork) to push the cork all the way in to the bottle. The widened end would prevent the tool falling in, as well as being easier to push on, with no additional parts/difficulty to manufacture.

(b)
pusher2-bc.jpg
pusher2-bc.jpg (40.58 KiB) Viewed 6019 times
This was just a thought on how it could be extended to include bottle-opener capability meeting both needs (prevention of drop-in and bottle opener). If not needing the drop-in prevention, then the alternative (without width increase) would be a notch in the side of the tool (though I'm less keen as this might reduce the tool strength).

FWIW, not sure if (b) is worth it, but I like (a), especially if the larger piston size were not needed, and so the pistons were not sufficient to prevent drop in when used as a vertical pusher. Also possibly just for handling ease.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

JacobH wrote: 09:55 Tue 04 Jan 2022 It occurred to me yesterday that if you wanted to produce a prototype of this with minimal tools, some thumb screws
Is it only me who immediately pictured some sort of medieval torture device being used in Julian's new cellar? :shock:
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

PhilW wrote: 10:52 Tue 04 Jan 2022 With apologies for my poor drawing skills, two images to try and help show (a) the minor mod I was suggesting, and (b) how it could be easily extended into addition of bottle opener without additional complexity if wanted.

(a)
pusher1.jpg

The intention by widening the end slightly is to allow the device to be used horizontally to push with the pistons per JDAW original concept, but also to allow use vertically (perhaps after freeing the cork) to push the cork all the way in to the bottle. The widened end would prevent the tool falling in, as well as being easier to push on, with no additional parts/difficulty to manufacture.

(b)
pusher2-bc.jpg

This was just a thought on how it could be extended to include bottle-opener capability meeting both needs (prevention of drop-in and bottle opener). If not needing the drop-in prevention, then the alternative (without width increase) would be a notch in the side of the tool (though I'm less keen as this might reduce the tool strength).

FWIW, not sure if (b) is worth it, but I like (a), especially if the larger piston size were not needed, and so the pistons were not sufficient to prevent drop in when used as a vertical pusher. Also possibly just for handling ease.
Whilst the bottle-opener option seemed useful when suggested I do not think it is worthy of adding bulk or cost to the device.
Ernest H. Cockburn
akzy
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Post by akzy »

PhilW wrote: 10:52 Tue 04 Jan 2022 With apologies for my poor drawing skills, two images to try and help show (a) the minor mod I was suggesting, and (b) how it could be easily extended into addition of bottle opener without additional complexity if wanted.

(a)
I did consider this myself. I was concerned about the effective radius being larger
End effective radius = sqrt(65) ~8.06mm
2mm plunger effective radius = sqrt(68) ~8.25 mm
4mm plunger effective radius = sqrt(80) ~8.94 mm (too large)
8mm plunger effective radius = sqrt(128) ~11.31mm (way too large)

A simple solution is to have the plungers tablet shaped not circular. This would work well for everything upto 8 mm.
Attachments
Capture1.PNG
Capture1.PNG (101.38 KiB) Viewed 6005 times
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (165.47 KiB) Viewed 6005 times
Last edited by akzy on 13:12 Tue 04 Jan 2022, edited 1 time in total.
akzy
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Post by akzy »

JacobH wrote: 09:55 Tue 04 Jan 2022 It occurred to me yesterday that if you wanted to produce a prototype of this with minimal tools, some thumb screws with a 16mm flat head might do the trick. They don’t make one with a 2mm thick head but do make them with 3.5mm ones and 9.5mm ones which is pretty close to the sizes being discussed here. You could probably produce something quite close to the finished product by taking a piece of 2mm flat steel bar; drilling & tapping a couple of holes in it; screwing these in; and then cutting the thread flush with the back of the plate.

I appreciate it might sound a bit less glamorous than this tool but I wonder if a M16 bolt would do the trick for one-handed operation since you could push straight down whilst holding the bottle in the other hand. A nut would allow you to set the maximum depth, too.
The very sensible approach which sane people should actually do.
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Post by flash_uk »

akzy wrote: 12:45 Tue 04 Jan 2022
JacobH wrote: 09:55 Tue 04 Jan 2022 I appreciate it might sound a bit less glamorous than this tool but I wonder if a M16 bolt would do the trick for one-handed operation since you could push straight down whilst holding the bottle in the other hand. A nut would allow you to set the maximum depth, too.
The very sensible approach which sane people should actually do.
Something like this:
Picture2.jpg
Picture2.jpg (64.89 KiB) Viewed 5990 times

Adjust the nut (3rd along from left) to give the desired piston depth. Could even make the adjusting nut a wing nut for easier operation.
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

We've been assuming that the benefit of using a piston is for full cork press; do we know this to be true? We know that when a cork is stuck to the glass we can rip the core out, so presumably could push the core through also (if using too small a "piston") but how big does it need to be?

Julian's answer of "as big as possible" is probably the safest, and we certainly would not want to use a small-diameter shape; but considering in regard to Zak's comment on ovals, it made me wonder how small a 16mm x Ymm oval might work; or indeed whether a 16mm x 2mm rectangle might work, i.e. a flat section of 2mm bar. If such were sufficient, we could then have all sorts of possible simple flat-metal solutions which would be extremely cheap to make...
(once again, please excuse my [lack of] drawing skills)
pusher3-flat.jpg
pusher3-flat.jpg (36.06 KiB) Viewed 5982 times
pusher4-flat.jpg
pusher4-flat.jpg (36.69 KiB) Viewed 5982 times
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

By Jove!, this is much easier than I had reckoned, and somewhat easier than recent posts. It would suffice to have a 100mm-long 16mm bolt with a 24mm-across matching nut.

Is it really that easy? Am I missing anything?

Except that the pressure will be a thread-width away from the edge.
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

jdaw1 wrote:Is it really that easy? Am I missing anything?
Simple, functional and adjustable. Could use a pair of nuts (so they essentially lock against each other to stop the bottom one turning during use), and a much shorter bolt. Not as pleasing to the eye, but much cheaper (though I did wonder whether a 3D printed plastic version of the tool might be almost as cheap).
nac
Fonseca 1980

Post by nac »

I am now able to report my first (and successful) use of The Wiseman.

Just opened a half of Vargellas 1996. Every previous opening of these has been a disaster.

Pushed the cork down approximately 5mm and then carefully removed with The Durand.

Almost tempted to open another just for the pleasure of defeating the cork.
Last edited by nac on 08:36 Sun 27 Mar 2022, edited 1 time in total.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

nac wrote: 08:40 Sat 26 Mar 2022Almost tempted to open another just for the pleasure of defeating the cork.
There is another reason, a more important reason, why another will be needed.
nac wrote: 08:40 Sat 26 Mar 2022a half of
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I find that if I heat the neck of the bottle briefly (30 seconds or so) in steam it seems to melt whatever adhesive sticks that cork to the glass and allows the cork to be extracted smoothly and easily.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

How did I miss this thread? Fabulous idea (push in a little before using a screw pull) -- I keep nearly all of my empties, and will have to do some measuring/testing. One concern is that a soft cork will compress significantly, and long before the stuck part releases. It may also be difficult to reduce pressure just as a stuck cork becomes freed, i.e. push->compress, push more -> compress more, push even more -> release! Plop. cork in the bottle.
JoshDrinksPort
Image Port wine should perhaps be added -- A Trollope
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

SushiNorth wrote: 20:11 Mon 28 Mar 2022i.e. push->compress, push more -> compress more, push even more -> release! Plop. cork in the bottle.
This risk is not denied. Surely the inventor of the Port garrotte can suggest better.
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

jdaw1 wrote: 21:15 Mon 28 Mar 2022
SushiNorth wrote: 20:11 Mon 28 Mar 2022i.e. push->compress, push more -> compress more, push even more -> release! Plop. cork in the bottle.
This risk is not denied. Surely the inventor of the Port garrotte can suggest better.
Oh you know I am thinking about it :)
JoshDrinksPort
Image Port wine should perhaps be added -- A Trollope