Wed 24 November - Virtual Tasting #17

Organise events to meet up and drink Port.
nac
Fonseca 1980

Wed 24 November - Virtual Tasting #17

Post by nac »

Apologies for late posting. I'd forgotten about this...

There's a slot in the planner for a session on Wednesday evening. Who's interested?

1. Justin K
2. Rich N
3. Glenn E
5. etc

Mike - can you provide providing Zoom magic?
Last edited by nac on 15:57 Wed 24 Nov 2021, edited 2 times in total.
rich_n
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Re: Wed 24 November - Virtual Tasting #17

Post by rich_n »

I will join for an hour if enough of us are available to make it worthwhile. I'll have to drop at 8/8.30 though.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

I just received my COVID vaccine booster shot so there is an excellent chance that I will not be feeling well enough to join. However, if I'm up and about, I will join for some Port and conversation.

Also, just FYI, I now have a professional Zoom account. I tend to need to leave earlier than others so using my account is probably best as a back-up plan, but it's an option occasionally.
Glenn Elliott
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Post by flash_uk »

nac wrote: 15:54 Tue 23 Nov 2021 Mike - can you provide Zoom magic?
Will do, but have another engagement this evening.
rich_n

Post by rich_n »

I guess we didn't get enough of us to do this? I haven't seen a zoom so I'll be settling in to watch the Champions League instead - will keep an eye here just in case there's a last minute update.
Justin K
Niepoort LBV

Post by Justin K »

Rich fraid not but I’m enjoying a few glasses of Vau 2003 and it’s delicious😊🍷
rich_n

Post by rich_n »

Justin K wrote:Rich fraid not but I’m enjoying a few glasses of Vau 2003 and it’s deliciousImageImage
I decided to go with a beer, but I think there will be some port consumed with my dad over the weekend. Enjoy!
MigSU

Post by MigSU »

No Porto for me today, just a couple of bottles of Douro DOC.
rich_n

Post by rich_n »

MigSU wrote:No Porto for me today, just a couple of bottles of Douro DOC.
I haven't tasted very many Douro wines that aren't ports, so I'm interested in your opinion on cellaring those wines. I got the impression from the few that I've tried that they are released far too young and could well benefit from a number of years of cellar time. What are your thoughts on that?
MigSU

Post by MigSU »

My thoughts are that you are correct. A general lack of financial capability (i.e., capital) in most producers means that they generally can't afford to keep the wines themselves, passing the onus of cellaring to the consumer. Of course, when the consumer isn't knowledgeable (or doesn't have the space to cellar wines) it means that the wines are drunk too soon. Which is what usually happens.
rich_n

Post by rich_n »

MigSU wrote:My thoughts are that you are correct. A general lack of financial capability (i.e., capital) in most producers means that they generally can't afford to keep the wines themselves, passing the onus of cellaring to the consumer. Of course, when the consumer isn't knowledgeable (or doesn't have the space to cellar wines) it means that the wines are drunk too soon. Which is what usually happens.
That's good to know, thanks. And I will continue with my plan of starting to lay down some Douro wines for future drinking.
MigSU

Post by MigSU »

rich_n wrote: 22:30 Wed 24 Nov 2021
MigSU wrote:My thoughts are that you are correct. A general lack of financial capability (i.e., capital) in most producers means that they generally can't afford to keep the wines themselves, passing the onus of cellaring to the consumer. Of course, when the consumer isn't knowledgeable (or doesn't have the space to cellar wines) it means that the wines are drunk too soon. Which is what usually happens.
That's good to know, thanks. And I will continue with my plan of starting to lay down some Douro wines for future drinking.
If you're ever in my neck of the woods (the Douro valley) let me know, my cellar is composed in a large majority of Douro DOC (and Port), so I can present you with quite a large sample size.
rich_n

Post by rich_n »

MigSU wrote:
rich_n wrote: 22:30 Wed 24 Nov 2021
If you're ever in my neck of the woods (the Douro valley) let me know, my cellar is composed in a large majority of Douro DOC (and Port), so I can present you with quite a large sample size.
I plan to be out there next year, both in Porto and visiting some of the producers up near Pinhao (I know both Churchill and Quevedo are keen to have visitors up there), so I will aim to take you up on your kind offer!