1995 Martinez Da Eira Velha- TNR

Anything to do with Port.
Michael M.
Quinta do Noval LBV

1995 Martinez Da Eira Velha- TNR

Post by Michael M. »

Very little recent informations on the web for this wine. Some mentions from Roy Hersh, that 1995 Da Eira Velha is even better than 1994. It would be very kind, if someone here could give some information. Thank you.

Michael
Shut Up 'N Drink Yer Port
Michael M.
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by Michael M. »

No idea?
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

No sorry... But, if the price is right, buy some and let us know.
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by Axel P »

Ich leider auch nicht...

Axel
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Nor from me...
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
Roy Hersh
Niepoort LBV

Post by Roy Hersh »

From next month's newsletter ...

As part of a mini vertical consisting of 1994 and 1997 as well:

1995 ~ Martinez’ Quinta da Eira Velha ~ Vintage Port â€‟ This was the 2nd VP in the lineup at Mike McCune’s mini-vertical tasting of Quinta da Eira Velha. Decanted just four hours. Medium ruby with slight bricking on the meniscus. Very earthy with some forest floor, smoky sun-dried tomato, herbs and a medicinal note. Actually the aromatics were captivating and for me the best part of this drink. Medium-bodied and offering a very smooth mouthfeel, there’s no question a slightly oxidative nuance is part of this bottle’s makeup along with some spirituous quality. Round in the mouth with tannins rather resolved and dominated by the heat. Trying to look past the heat was not easy but there was some really tasty cherry and plum flavors and a touch of pine in the background which led to a remarkably long finish that was marred by intense alcohol protruding and obscuring pleasure. I wonder if three or four more hours in decanter would have helped. Drink now or hold for another dozen years and see if this integrates better with time. ~ 83 points ~ 5/24/07
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

Would you say this was an off bottle? Good bottle but in a stage not to be drunk? Or is this a serious downgrade from your previous score?
Michael M.
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by Michael M. »

Thank you Roy for sharing your impressions. If I remember correctly, you were rather enthousiastic for this wine in past postings on ebob and ftlop and recommended it beside 1995 Ferreira VP as a pick of the vintage.

A score of 83 points does not stand for a wine to look for. I have the same questions as Ronnie. Did you taste a basis for significant improvement? Would you say, that 1995 Ferreira VP is the better choice for a top 1995 VP? And: what about 1994 Eira Velha SQVP?

Michael
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

And: what about 1994 Eira Velha SQVP?
I've not tasted the Eira Velha 1994, but did taste the regular Martinez from that year quite a number of times. I love that port. And according to WS, the SQ bottling is even better. I would say, buy it, if you find it for a good price.
Michael M.
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by Michael M. »

Ronnie, good to hear this about 1994 Martinez VP. I am glad to have a (untouched) case of 12. Unfortunately Da Eira Velha 94 has become rather expensive. I did not find it for less than 60 EUR. In principle I would like to stock up on this.

Michael
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

Michael, look here. But they only have two bottles...
Michael M.
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by Michael M. »

Thank you for the tip, Ronnie. Unfortunately Hans Jorissen passed away last year. I picked up a case of 1994 Fonseca VP last year in January in Leiden. He was a very kind man with a deep-rooted knowledge. A great pleasure to converse with him. Do you know if Karen, his companion in life carries on? I considered to take the 2 bottles, but with BTW it is about 54 EUR plus silly expensive shipping costs to Germany. Perhaps I will visit with my wife Amsterdam soon and get perhaps some additional bottles of 1994 Da Eira Velha. BTW, I purchased 2 bottles in Begium at 20 EUR/bottle- plus 20 EUR/bottle for shipping cost. Isn't that really silly?

Michael
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

Yes, Karen is continuing the business. We bought some wines from her
not too long ago.

Isn't there a rule that you can buy without VAT if you can present your own VAT number? (At least between countries within the EU.) I did that once when buying wines from an Italian webstore. But that still wouldn't rule out the shipment costs to Germany... I never understand why they must be that high.
Simon Lisle
Taylor’s LBV

Post by Simon Lisle »

I bought some bottles from Karen not long before Christmas