Corked Colheita Ports

Anything to do with Port.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Corked Colheita Ports

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I was opening a bottle of vintage port the other day, hoping that it would not be corked, when it occurred to me that I don't recall ever having tasted a bottle of TCA infected Colheita port.

Granted, I do not drink anything like as much colheita port as I do vintage, but it did make me wonder whether corking is just as common in barrel aged ports as it is in bottle aged ports.

Has anyone ever tasted a corked colheita? If so, does your experience lead you to believe that corked colheitas are as common as corked vintage ports?

Alex
Last edited by Alex Bridgeman on 09:03 Fri 29 Feb 2008, edited 1 time in total.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: Corked Colheita Ports

Post by g-man »

AHB wrote:I was opening a bottle of vintage port the other day, hoping that it would not be corked, when it occurred to me that I don't recall ever having tasted a bottle of TCA infected Colheita port.

Granted, I do not drink anything like as much colheita port as I do vintage, but it did make me wonder whether corking is just as common in barrel shed ports as it is in bottle aged ports.

Has anyone ever tasted a corked colheita? If so, does your experience lead you to believe that corked colheitas are as common as corked vintage ports?

Alex
well the cork comes from either a winery with a TCA problem
or a cork that hasn't been steralized properly.

I'd guess that with Colheitas because the woody component is so apparent, it might hide that telltale "wet cardboard".

i believe at our last colheita we did indeed come across one that was quite foul, but the wine slips my mind
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

alex,

I've had several corked colheita's and the rate seems to run just a little lower than VP's, in my experience. That is probably becuase I open more VP's than Colheita's, so I'd say the rate runs about the same.
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by Axel P »

Alex,

normally Colheitas should be drunk when bottled. I guess this is the reason why a faulty cork does not have that much of effect, because the time it spends with the cork is normally shorter.

On the other hand I do agree with g-man, that the flavours of an (old) Colheita will more lay over a bad corky note than VPs would do.

To answer your question: I opened some Colheitas that already went bad, but never experienced a corky note yet on them.

Axel
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

Axel P wrote:normally Colheitas should be drunk when bottled.
Really? The port trade makes a big deal about buying a bottle of Colheita from your/kid's birth years and putting it away for many years to be opened on some celebratory occasion. I've only one, and had no opportunity to try any, but that's certainly an interesting tidbit.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

Well, it depends on who you talk to in the Douro about aging Colheita's in bottle. Some, such as Niepoort, believe that colheita's can and do age in bottle. Some, such as Barros, believe the opposite. Personnally, I think younger ones will age some, but the older ones don't really age all that much. No data behind that, just my personal belief.

As for corked wines...once its bottled with a tainted cork, its corked. From the day it left the bottling line, it was corked. So weather it spends one week in bottle or 10 years in bottle, its still corked the same. The reason why some are a "stronger" corked than others, is the level of TCA in the cork is higher than other TCA tainted corks. So there can be different "levels" of corkness depending on how badly infected the cork is.
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

would it be corkness, corkedness, corkiness or just corked?
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

g-man wrote:would it be corkness, corkedness, corkiness or just corked?
I ain't got no idea...I have a hard enough time trying to spell my own name at times :lol: :lol: :lol:
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

ADV wrote:
g-man wrote:would it be corkness, corkedness, corkiness or just corked?
I ain't got no idea...I have a hard enough time trying to spell my own name at times :lol: :lol: :lol:
Isn't is corkosity :lol:

I have only had one, a Noval 78 (I think) when with Andy in VNG last October.

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn