Have we stopped drinking port?

Anything to do with Port.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Have we stopped drinking port?

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I've noticed over the last few weeks that things have been very quiet on the tasting notes forum. Does this mean that people have stopped drinking port? Am I the only one currently sipping my way through a bottle of the purple sunshine? Surely not!

Perhaps those giving up port for January have simply misplaced their corkscrews and are frantically searching for them as I type this post.

What are others drinking? I'm working my way through a(nother) bottle of Croft's Roeda 1995, which is very pleasantly soft and fruity.

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

I'm having a grim time of it. I cant justify any decent purchases, particularly as I'm waiting to restock with Tom's Morgans, when the oportunity arises.
So in the meantime, I'm very slowly working my way through some awful bottles of Dows LBV that I picked up for £5 each, which were earmarked as crappy Christmas Presents. In the end, I didn't have the heart. (Wish I had now).
Anyway, I long for another Warres LBV event, or another half price Otima deal, to have a serious restock.
I've prety much drunk up the 20 or so VP's I had as well! So everythings gone wrong!!!

Alan

On another note, Alex, your Avatar doesn't have put one in mind of some yet unseen Little Britian sketch, as he is the spit of David Walliams.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I'd still encourage you to post TNs of the awful bottles of Dow's LBV. At least that way we will know what to avoid in the future.

Alex

jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

2008’s frantic start to port requires a rest.

Post by jdaw1 »

2008’s frantic start to port requires a rest.
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

With all our bottles now in offsite storage, and with plenty of other wines and whiskies to finish before we leave for Oman, port consumption is down somewhat. There is still an open bottle of Otima 20 YO to finish though. Maybe I'll find the energy to post a note about that... :wink:
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

Still recovering from an 10 bottle 4 guys and 3 non drinking girls tasting.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I have definately slowed down my port consumption and rarely have any during the week. I'm probably going at the rate of less than one per week :shock:

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

Sad to say I opened a bottle of Warre's Warrior the other night. It was actually a result of the glasses post -- I needed something cheap for research. "Very peppery" That's my whole tasting note on it. :P

Beyond that, this has been an awful time for BUYING port, not drinking it. I'm now up...
3 Churchill95
2 Calem qdFoz96
2 Calem97
3 Calem00
1 SW00
2 qdNoval03
1 Delaforce03

I'd focused a lot on only "The best" (as rated by Suckling) and wanted to round out the stash with some other ports, at better prices.
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

Inspired by this post, I went to the supermarket and bought a bottle of Warre's Cavadinha 1995. With airmiles discount only 10 euro. Hard to beat. 88)

Immediately poured it in the decanter and enjoyed a good part of it together with LadyR yesterday. Coincidentelly, it turned out that Simon Says Drink had the exact same port in his decanter yesterday (coming from the same source, for the same crazy price). He promised to post notes, to which I will add my comments.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

Well, after an out of control start...its time to recover :lol:
Overtired and emotional
Taylor’s LBV

Post by Overtired and emotional »

Well, it is Lent. At least that's my excuse, although I have had a technical Sunday to be noted elsewhere.
It may be drivel, but it's not meaningless.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

With the port trade having announced that sales of port in the UK in 2007 were up on 2006, perhaps the UK group on the forum feel that they have completed a job well done. Or perhaps we are flexing our commercial muscles and demonstrating that if we stop buying then port volumes in the UK will fall by 3%...

Whatever the reason, even I won't be drinking port tonight as Mrs B and I are going to a dinner dance and I will be driving.

But there will be a new bottle opened tomorrow night and drunk over the following few days.

Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

2005 VP

Post by Axel P »

Im still in the middle of the 2005 VP tasting and I think I will have the article ready in June...

Hopefully I will be sober until then.

Axel
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

AHB wrote:Have we stopped drinking port?
I seem to have returned to form :wink:

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

I will return to form this weekend with the big L.A. offline that I am organizing down here. But the past couple of weeks have been super busy, and this week is really crazy, so almost no drinking at all....I can't wait until friday :D
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

I shall be back on stream before long - I have supped Taylors 'fine Tawny' - which is a blatent blend of red and white ports, with no tawny hues and barely a trace of the wood claimed on the back label - you don't want a TN - no, really you don't! :D

I also indulged Warre's Warrior on a flight back to Bangkok from Shanghai (the Thai Air flight out had been dry, on account of a 'Buddha day' :( )

Feeling a bit short measured previously, I spied the port bottle on the cheese and dessert trolley, and after asking for a glass, asked them to leave me the bottle as well. To my surprise, they agreed immediately and fetched another bottle to put on the trolley.

After 'doing a Derek' at six miles up, I was quite merry when we landed!

(and my opinion of Warrior has improved also..)

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

uncle tom wrote: After 'doing a Derek' at six miles up, I was quite merry when we landed!
I did that on the way to Mumbai last year but was lucky enough to have Graham's 20 Yr Old instead of a Ruby 88) -

...not such a good idea though when you are landing at 11am, it's 120 degrees and you have a meeting planned for all afternoon :shock:

Have a safe trip home, Tom.

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Perhaps we have identified another ongoing thread along the lines of the "price of port at a hotel bar" thread that perks up from time to time.

It would be quite interesting (to me, at least) to learn which ports the different airlines serve on their different routes.

What do you all think?

Alex

SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

You surely don't mean US airlines. I count myself lucky if they offer white vs red!
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

It would be quite interesting (to me, at least) to learn which ports the different airlines serve on their different routes
Until my most recent flight, Lufthansa (who I fly with most frequently) have always had unfiltered Niepoort LBV's on board - complete with sediment...

Maybe someone has realised this is not such a great idea for an airline, as my last flight had a Graham LBV instead, which is filtered.

Thai seem to stock whatever is available, (most recently Warre's Warrior) United served Sandeman Founder's Reserve when I last flew with them.

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I'm flying to Dublin from East Midlands this afternoon so will be able to let you know which VP Ryanair are currently serving with dinner :P

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn