Wedding wines

Anything but Port, this includes all wines other than fortified wines (which have their own section) even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
Forum rules
Anything but Port, this includes all non-Port fortified wines even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Wedding wines

Post by RonnieRoots »

Thought it would be fun to share which wines we had at our wedding dinner last Friday:

Champagne:
- Veuve Clicquot Brut NV from magnum, with a big thank you to KillerB 88)
Lovely stuff, and mags are always cool.

- Lanson Black Label NV
Lacks the character of the Veuve, but nice and fresh sparkler that perfectly served its purpose.

The remains of the champagne were served with the amuse: oystershooter with spicy tomatocoulis and cardemomfoam.

Whites:
- 2005 Domaine Guillemot-Michel Quintaine Macon-Villages
Served with two dishes: Celery root and porcini soup and Hake with mandarin reduction and celery root / apple puree. The flowery, citrus notes that were accompanied by a distinct earthiness, matched very well with the fish dish.

- 1976 S.A. Prüm Wehlener Sonnenuhr Auslese Goldkapsel
Served with Duck liver terrine (marinated in port). Classic combination for a classic dish. I've had this wine a couple of times before and it remains one of my favorites. Incredibly young and rich.

Reds:
- 1997 La Poderina Brunello di Montalcino
A bit funky at first, but grew out to be the star of the evening. Wow, what a wine, and still a baby at 11 years of age. Spicy and rich, but ever so elegant.

- 2001 Lavradores de Feitoria Douro Grande Escolha
Had a hard time standing up to the La Poderina, but was lovely on its own. Sweet fruit, chocolate and a dense, rich structure.

Both wines were paired with filet of wild boar, filled with parma ham and chestnut crumb, wild boar stew, grilled butternut squash and potato puree. A very good match for both.

Dessert (chocolate cake, with chocolate truffle and fruit in port syrup) came without wine.

Port:
- 1976 Fonseca Guimaraens Vintage Port
I will post a more detailed note in the TN section, but boy oh boy, what a surprise this was. Incredibly dark and incredibly young. This needs more time, but was already an enormous joy to drink. Paired with a collection of cheeses.

On Saturday, we had a very satisfying "Day After Party" with KillerB, SimonSaysDrink, StevieCage (partly) and mrs. SSD. The wines poured were:

- Kreglinger Tasmanian Sparkling Wine (horrible...)
- Marcel Deiss 2002 something field blend (faulty bottle, undrinkable)
- Kruger Rumpf 1994 Spatlese (a bit tired, but still drinkable)
- Robert Weil 1998 Spatlese (very nice)
- Keller 2005 (?) Spatlese (forgot which vineyard... the cork was glued to the bottle, so we had to pour this through a coffee filter into our glasses. Restrained nose, but ever so full and concentrated flavours. Lovely wine)
- Niepoort Redoma 1995 Douro (slightly over the hill and very oaky, but still drinking rather nicely)
- Niepoort Redoma 1997 Douro (impressive, concentrated and packed with fruit, flowery aromas and complex. My #3 of the night)
- Niepoort Quinta do Napoles 2000 Douro (weird wine. Very green on the nose and on the palate, crushed stems. Hard and almost unapproachable. Seems better as part of a blend).
- Pio Cesare 1998 Barolo Ornato (a great wine. Earthy and dark. A wide array of fruit, varying from dark forest fruit to redcurrant on the long finish . Lovely with KillerB's Pasta Bolognese. General consensus was that this was WOTN)
- d'Arenberg The Dead Arm 2003 Shiraz (lovely wine, very much restrained for Dead Arm, built for the long haul. My #4 of the night)
- Torbreck 2001 Shiraz The Factor (another very good shiraz, in a more lush and jammy style than the Dead Arm, this is great for drinking now, but I don't know if I would cellar this... My #5 of the night)
- Rieussec 1999 Sauternes (this has really fleshed out since the last time I drank this. Ripe and ready. Slightly reductive, with white tea, honey, citrus and tropical fruit. Not the most complex sauternes probably, but a true joy to drink. My #2)
- Dow Bomfim 1998 Vintage Port (just as the Vargellas 1998 this is strangely vegetal on the nose. Dark flavoured, a bit rough, and slightly bitter finish. Not bad at all, but I wonder if this will ever really come together. So far, I haven't been too impressed with '98 as a vintage).

All in all, a very good way to celebrate our wedding weekend!
:D 88)
SimonSaysDrink
Fonseca Bin 27

Post by SimonSaysDrink »

Ronnie-you forgot OUR WOTN: Peller Estates' Andrew Peller Cab Franc Icewine, VQA Niagara, Canada. Probably the best Cab Franc icewine in production today, and catching on I hear. P. Lurton at CB is contemplating making such a wine with his best Cab Franc in 2008. All because of this Peller icewine. Insane! :lol: :wink:

Seriously though, can a line-up of wedding wines get any better? What amazing generosity, what amazing fellowship, what amazing food. StevieCage and his clan of chef extraordinaires went way above and beyond and created some spectacular dishes to pair with Ronnie and LadyRoots' creative and perfect selections. C'mon...1997 La Poderina BdM? Unbelievable. And what could one say toward the state of the 1976 Fonseca Guimaraens? It had barely aged a week. Just unspeakably pure and young. Wow. And two full decanters of it, polished off before the end of the night. If that's not testimony enough...

I'll put the longer TNs in the Reviews section. These notes were compilations from everyone's stream-of-consciousness utterings, and are to the best of my recollection nearly complete notes. Well, I wasn't able to take notes for the last four wines; hand-eye coordination had deteriorated. A bit. Here's the link: viewtopic.php?t=1161
'The quickest way to end world hunger is to make fast food faster.' - William & Harry's Polka-Bot Explosion, Planet Earth's First Touring XBox 360 'Rock Star' Band
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Congratulations all round. Seems very satisfactory.

Post by jdaw1 »

Congratulations all round. Seems very satisfactory.
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Congratulations. All the best.

(My Invitation must have got lost in the post!!!)

:D :D :D
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

Conky wrote:(My Invitation must have got lost in the post!!!)

:D :D :D
I could never put you through all that torture in the middle of your detox period. That would have been cruel! :wink:
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

SSD: I don't know how I could have forgotten that Peller! It was simply horrific. Luckily the wines only got better afterwards. Yes, even that Tasmanian Sparkler was better than the Cab Franc Icewine... :roll:
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Wedding night recently? What are you doing here?

Post by jdaw1 »

Wedding night recently? What are you doing here?
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

=)

congratz ronnie on what seemed to be a great celebration.

Btw i disagree on the the peller cab franc ice wine.

you must try the Vineland estates cab franc ice wine.

Better balance, a whole new level of complex compared to the Peller. A true stunner of a wine.
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

I guess we should have drunk the Peller a couple of years earlier. But anyway, I guess I'm not a big fan of Cab Franc icewines, usually I stick (pun not intended) to Rieslings.
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

I have to agree that La Poderina was the best dry wine of the wedding day and the Guimaraens was extraordinary in its youthfulness. The ones that are ten years younger seem arthritic in comparison.

More enjoyable than anything was seeing two friends getting married and having a great day with their family and friends. Thanks to Stevie, Leontine and the other cooks for the fabulous food. Thanks for inviting me Ronald and Maartje, I had a brilliant weekend.
Port is basically a red drink