A point that Alex B made when we were walking to the subway

Anything to do with Port.
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

A point that Alex B made when we were walking to the subway

Post by g-man »

I'd like to point out that due to the recent tastings, I've had more oppurtunities to try port with food.

I'm surprised by how colheitas really match well with a wide variety of food from cheeses to steaks to oily vegetables.

my favorites for cheese pairing from my limited knowledge seems to be the 68 offley we had at an offline

with steak it seems to be the 66 moreira..
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

To my taste Port is a very nice accompanyment to most non-spicy foods but food is not something that enhances the enjoyment of the Port.

If I have a glass of something special in front of me I would rather not mix it with anything else that is likely to detract from its complexity and subtle flavours.

One thing I do know from experience is that anything with a high fat content has a detrimental affect on ones ability to taste any wine or port. This is one of the main reasons I can't really get the cheese and port thing. It makes the cheese more enjoyable, but not the other way round :roll:

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

If you drink a glass of Port, and it excites and intrigues you, I agree with everything Derek has said. The accompaniment should be small and neutral. I like chocolates, cashews, subtle pate on dry toast.
However, if the Port is House Port, or comes across as ordinary with faults, for me the rule changes. I like most forms of meals with a glass of wine. I often find I finish the meal with the glass of Port that continues well after the meal has finished. In that vein, only seriously spiced food, like chicken vindaloos ruin that theory.
To confirm that Derek is true to his word, I'd relate the story of the first time he visited my dump. It was a lovely warm Summers day. We quickly dispatched a handful of ice cold beers, and discussed something to eat before the Port. I was feeling lazy and suggested Chinese or Indian. Derek related his views, and he somewhat reluctantly plumped for a blander Chinese meal.
He did of course, destroy four ton of it with chips, slaughtered more beer, before drinking about 3 bottles of Port. He was last seen doing a 'Snoring' Winston Churchill impersonation on the decking.

Alan
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

My favourite is steak and chips with something relatively young (young port, that is), like a Morgan '91. I also find that young port (vintage or LBV) goes well with meals with meaty sauces like roasts with gravy or beef bourgignon (made with port, not burgundy, in our house).

Meat + fruity port seems to be a combination I really enjoy.

Of course, if its a bottle of something special then I would probably prefer to share it with a few friends and enjoy it for itself.

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Food hides port

Post by jdaw1 »

There appears to be general agreement. Food hides port. The fatter and spicier the food, the more hiding it does. So a delicate fine old port should be drunk alone. A younger port can take some protein and carbohydrates. A flawed port needs cheese and curry.
Overtired and emotional
Taylor’s LBV

Post by Overtired and emotional »

Some interesting thoughts here. I would generally agree with Alan that chocolates or nuts support or match good port but it is hard to go much further with food.

I struggle with the concept of pairing port with a main course dish. Apart from the battle of flavours, an effective 50% or more increase in alcohol seems too much of a fight when several glasses will be drunk with a course or two.

Many of you clearly see port as a staple; for my part, port accompanies me on my journey into the deep dark recesses of the night. Perhaps that opens up another thread?
It may be drivel, but it's not meaningless.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Overtired and emotional wrote:Perhaps that opens up another thread?
Unless anyone has a serious objection I would suggest we leave it here as it is a related subject.

Until a couple of years ago I was in the same camp as you on this one, John. A meal would be accompanied by wine (or beer then wine) and the port would come out towards the end of the evening.

I then met AHB and I quickly discovered a new way to enjoy port.

Something that I have found out since then is that drinking only port for the evening drastically reduces the less favourable effects in that I tend not to feel too whamed at the end of the evening (unless excess is reached) and I have far less chance of having a hangover than if I mix port with other drinks.

Try it :wink:

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Luc
Graham’s The Tawny

Post by Luc »

If you drink Port with your main course , does that mean you forfit Port for after dinner ?
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I've never felt the need to stop drinking port when the food runs out! It seems to be a much more serious concern if the port runs out before the food...

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

A much more serious concern indeed.

Post by jdaw1 »

A much more serious concern indeed.