Port "Sippers"

Anything to do with Port.
gonzo
Cockburn’s Special Reserve

Port "Sippers"

Post by gonzo »

A friend bought a set of 8 port sippers for me for my birthday recently. (small glasses with a tube running from the bottom of the glass from which you drink)
I had not seen these before ,the labelling states that as you are drinking from the bottom of the glass it makes the port taste better due to the low oxidization achieved.
My question is, is this just a lot of bullshit to make people buy the things ? I had assumed that oxidization as they call it (breathing??) enhances the wine?
Any thoughts on this?
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

My guess is that they’re fragile rubbish.

Post by jdaw1 »

My guess is that they’re fragile rubbish.
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

I'm on the Forum using my mobile phone. Havn't worked out how to do links yet, but hav a look on page 2 of Port Conversations. You'll find another Port Sippers thread. I included a photo of them. They got a bad review by the lads, but I'd be interested to hear how you find them?

Alan
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Sippers link

Post by jdaw1 »

gonzo
Cockburn’s Special Reserve

Post by gonzo »

haha...thanks chaps...as i thought its a load of codswollop , why would one wish to drink a VP that had not had a chance to breathe and open up! My suspicions are confirmed,its tat.
Now,how to go about never using them in their company..I will have to have a decanted wine that has had sufficient time to breathe prior to pouring..ah the lengths we go to so as not to hurt the feelings of others,eh?! :roll:
Luc
Graham’s The Tawny

Post by Luc »

gonzo , I assume that"cods wollop" is the equivalent to cow patty's . . .
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

Wollop is cheap beer, so cod's wollop would be cheap beer from a fish.

I assume that this now makes sense.
Port is basically a red drink
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

It clearly means nonsense. The two main theories of its origin, are as follows

Anglo-Saxon
The first etymology claims that the word derives from cods, an Anglo-Saxon term for testicles, combined with another word of Anglo-Saxon origin, wallop, meaning to scold or chastise (note that this wallop is not the same as the word wallop, meaning "hit"). It could be observed that if cod is the same as "testicles" and wallop is the same as "hit," codswallop could be very similar to the American colloquial ball-busting, which means "to make fun of" or "take the piss" in British colloquial.
Critics have argued that it is the "punch" meaning of the term wallop that applies, not the older "scold" variant.

Brewing terminology
The second and more popular etymology places the word's origins in the brewing industry. In 1876, British soft drink maker Hiram Codd designed and patented a bottle designed specifically for fizzy drinks. Though his Codd-neck bottle was a success in the fizzy drink industry, alcohol drinkers disparaged Codd's invention, often saying it was only good for "wallop" (a slang term for beer in the late-19th century). The term soon became "Codd's Wallop" and was eventually used for anything of low-quality or rubbish. But this theory sounds like a load of old codswallop to me.
Critics argue that this term, despite its popularity, is not likely to be the origin, as the first recorded use of codswallop was not until around the 1960s, over ninety years after the term for beer fell out of use.

I couldn't really add further, but I just think its part of my culture, like 'Lummex', 'Fair clempt and parched wi'it'', 'Nesh', etc,etc. They are words in everyday usage, even if the origin is a tad obscure.

Alan
Luc
Graham’s The Tawny

Post by Luc »

Alan , such an indept analysis deserves something or other .
Unfortunately at the present time I' at a loss for words . :roll: :roll:
Anyway , tx for clearing things . . .