Official - Christmas has started..

Anything to do with Port.
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

But that was Vargellas '88 - not Guimaraens

Anyone got a note on FG88?

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

Seems the annual UK sell-a-thon is getting some heat from a couple Portuguese producers. Guess they are tired of the UK markets selling Port for super cheap prices during the holidays.

i have no problem buying at cheap prices, and personnally think it helps to keep those making a less than top notch Port from selling them at over inflated prices just because it was a good vintage "overall."
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

All the Vargelasses were 1998 :cry:
Port is basically a red drink
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

Hm, Vargellas 1998... I bought a case of that port for a very low price once. Drank one bottle and don't remember much of it except that I though it was a very strange port.
Alex Bridgeman
Fonseca 1966

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Vargellas 1998 is currently on promotion in my local Tesco for £17.49 a bottle. I must confess, at that price I still passed on buying any when I did my weekly food shop on Saturday. £17.50 for a 9 year old single quinta from a vintage that is not recognised as a good SQ year...not for me.

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

I believe I paid around the same amount in euros. That made it attractive, as it is around the same price that I would pay for a good unfiltered LBV.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

My Tesco purchases arrived yesterday. 6 x Vargellas 1998 and 6 x Bomfim 1996 - 12 bottles for £132 delivered 88)

The Bomfim's are each packed in their own little wooden coffin's with perspex lids. The have strange cream and gold coloured labels in celebration of the centenery celebration of the brand. They do look very nice and are no doubt going to be the Christmas present of choice for port lovers who's loved one's shop at Tesco.

I don't really want to break into either of these 6 packs as they are too young for me so I nipped down to my local Tesco yesterday to see if the 25% off deal was still on. It was, so I had 2 more bottles of QV98 plus 4 bottles of cheap plonk that Jo normally buys. I also had a Clubcard Voucher for £7 which meant that my 2 x QV98's cost me just under £8 each :D

I popped one last night and have started a TN which I will post later. The remainder of the bottle is in my hotel room and is this weeks 3 night challenge.

I would be interested to know if anyone has tasted the QB96. They didn't have any in store and I really don't want to break the case.

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

Derek T. wrote:I would be interested to know if anyone has tasted the QB96. They didn't have any in store and I really don't want to break the case.
There you go.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Being one of the people who have campaigned vigorously for member TN areas on port websites you would think I might have thought to look there :oops:

Good thread, I'm with Tom :wink:

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
Alex Bridgeman
Fonseca 1966

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I called into Tesco on my way home tonight. I hadn't realised that the Tesco 25% offer was still going - or at least it was until Sunday :( So I missed out. Now you only get 5% off a purchase of 6 or more bottles.

However, I did find that the Dow 2001 LBV is currently on the shelves for £5.49 a bottle. Despite Alan's mediocre review in the tasting note section, at a price less than a bottle of 1991 Morgan I thought that this was worth a couple of bottles to see what it was like.

Sainsbury tomorrow to see what they have on offer - if anything!

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I visited Sainsbury yesterday and they had Dow's Trademark at 50% off - wich is arounf £5 per bottle. I think I had this last year and it was a decent premium ruby. At £5 it is worth stiking 6 bottles in the time-capsule in the Blue Peter Garden and revisiting with your grandchildren :wink:

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Whilst out of the IT loop, I also visited Tesco's and took their last Dows 2001 LBV for that price. I'm not keen on it, but they will make superbly economic Christmas presents for those stuffy relatives who claim to like Port, but haven't got the foggiest!

If any of them pull a face on tasting it, I'll crack open a better one. :wink:

You also need the odd bottle in for when your to drunk to notice the good stuff, but sensible enough to realise that fact.

Alan