Should we be buying 2011 VP now?

Anything to do with Port.
akzy
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Should we be buying 2011 VP now?

Post by akzy »

When I started my first forray into Port, the first thing I did was buy a case of 2016 Taylors VP. Then I had a good chat with several folks here and you all very quickly pointed me to the fact that 20 YO Port is pretty much always cheaper than release (except super cuvees). I've now got a couple of 90's cases in storage and I was feeling smug with 'insider knowledge'.

However, in some seperate conversations, I've been told that the amount of VP being produced has drastically descreased. Intrigued, I decided to start gathering some stats (if you see mistakes/ would like to contribute, let me know). Apart from Taylor's, there is a noticeable descrease from the big producers in the amount of VP being produced, with 2011 being an stand-out year.

As a result, will the 20 year market of these look the same? Should we be breaking this savvy rule and be getting the 2011s now? Would love to hear your thoughts.

There's always the slight risk of you all now buying 2011s like pandemic toilet roll.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: Should we be buying 2011 VP now?

Post by Andy Velebil »

There has been a rather large dip in production over the past couple decades. So the short answer is most likely, yes, newer vintages will be harder to find in the coming decades as a result. And as a result prices will probably end up raising as a function of age, scarcity and, if the trend hopefully continues, popularity.

I've consistently told people if they are interested in newer vintages, don't wait to buy.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: Should we be buying 2011 VP now?

Post by JacobH »

I’m sure there has been a concerted effort by some producers, particular the TFP shippers, to push up the prices of their Vintage Ports with the desire that, one day, they will reach the prices of some of the trophy wines, like the first growth clarets. Smaller production volumes will help this.

However, I am fairly relaxed about this, since my interest in Port is drinking it rather than collecting it. Another striking feature of the last two decades has been the huge increase in quality of the Port being produced, particularly in less favourable years and from less prominent shippers, meaning there is a much greater range of wines to choose from then previously. Also, whilst prices for the English shippers’ classic blends are going up, there are stacks of affordable Vintage Ports, like the Malvedos and Bomfins being sold by the supermarkets at £20 a bottle.

As a result, I find myself thinking: “that’s just too expensive for what it is” more and more in a way which I’d used only to feel when considering the prices for Noval Nacional. I therefore find myself going down other acquisitional paths (generally a big stack of SQVPs and Niepoort) and avoiding the whole issue altogether. But, of course, this means I don’t and won’t be drinking as many classic vintages from the main British shippers in the future.