Anything to do with Port.
Simon Lisle
Taylor’s LBV

Post by Simon Lisle »

Hopefully if it's aimed at female drinkers it will be buy one get one free
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I found one in an M&S in Edinburgh today.

The TN is here.

:?
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

For those of you who don't stray from the righteous path of The Port Forum I thought I would let you know that a hornet's nest has been disturbed on this subject on FTLOP

Interesting to see the big guns come out in support of their new baby.

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
Michael M.
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by Michael M. »

Derek T. wrote: Interesting to see the big guns come out in support of their new baby.

Derek
Do you guys know "Rosemary's Baby", a horor film from the polish stage director Romam Polanski? T h i s is a very good one.
Shut Up 'N Drink Yer Port
PortDude
Cheap Ruby

Post by PortDude »

Ok,

So I've succumbed to the devil's temptation and tried some of that pink... something. If you ask me, I didn't find it at all disgusting, as some of you said it was. The nose is somewhat "medical" and reminded me of some sort of cough-syrup I had in my younger days. On the palate the alcohol really came out, with flavours of red fruit (strawberry).

If I had to guess if this was Port, I'd say "no way!" It does not have any resemblance to Port whatsoever and I'm having strong doubts as to whether this drink should even be allowed to carry such a name. However, this IS a rosé-style drink which will drink beautifully in hot summer afternoons (chilled, of course). It's one of those drinks that will appeal to a large range of non-Port drinkers, but if Croft's strategy is to get people to drink more Port, I don't think that anyone who buys this (and thus "Port") for the first time will ever upgrade to an LBV or some other premium category.

By the way, the IVDP did not create a new category for this wine. It is is being classified as a standard ruby (light ruby).
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

Ok, so if i come upon some of this, I'm going to try bringing it to a party populated with rose' lovers and see what happens.

By the way, Derek, the explanation provided for your experience with the pressurized cork is very odd. When you sealed the air in the bottle, it was likely at room temperature. the chill of the fridge may have caused the air to shrink in volume (negative pressure) but when you let the bottle return to room temp (before unsealing it) the air should have already expanded to normal (thus zero pressure difference).

I am more suspicious that there was gas dissolved in the port that escaped after it was unsealed for the first time. It is possible that the gas more easily escaped into the larger volume of air in the bottle (post-tasting-#1) than it did before you opened it.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

SushiNorth wrote:By the way, Derek, the explanation provided for your experience with the pressurized cork is very odd. When you sealed the air in the bottle, it was likely at room temperature. the chill of the fridge may have caused the air to shrink in volume (negative pressure) but when you let the bottle return to room temp (before unsealing it) the air should have already expanded to normal (thus zero pressure difference).

I am more suspicious that there was gas dissolved in the port that escaped after it was unsealed for the first time. It is possible that the gas more easily escaped into the larger volume of air in the bottle (post-tasting-#1) than it did before you opened it.
The bottle was already well chilled when I replaced the cork so it is possible that the air above the wine, which was still at a reasonably high level, would have been cold due to the cold glass that surrounded it and the cold wine beneath. After the cork was replaced the bottle was stored in the fridge for a few days more and then removed and placed in a cupboard where it would have reached room temperature. This is the point at which I removed the cork and heard the ruch of gas/air.

I still have the bottle in the fridge, now about half empty, and removed the cork again to test the gas in the wine theory. There was no gas pressure inside the bottle.

I don't really know what all this means but now you have all the facts.

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn