Jehova

Anything to do with Port.
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Jehova

Post by Axel P »

Yes I did it ... but a little story ahead:

Im in the middle of a hughe VP 05 - tasting and I think I pretty much got em all. Maybe the Borges is missing, but I will call them again tomorrow.

Luis Carneiro of Taylors Fladgate was so kind sending me Taylors Terra Feita and Vargellas, two brothers who couldn't be more different. Muito obrigado again, Luis.

So I said to myself, there is a little David Guimaraens inside of you as well and I mixed the two... O.k. those of you who are saying: How could you - I would have thought the same.

In fact: The Vargellas is very fruity and seducive while the Terra Feita is strong and adstringent with a hughe bundle of tannins. I thought when mixing the two I could combine the tannic strenght with the fruitiness, but:

A whole new VP was born, totally different from what I expected. Lesson learned: there is more than the nose can smell and the tongue can taste, so David: please accept my deepest appology trying to do this!

Now I try to mix a little more varying the percentages...

Axel

P.S.: Looking for direct feedback, how many times I have to go to church now to receive forgiveness.
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

No church going necessary, your only penance is to send your bottles over to the UK so that we can blind taste your blends and provide you with honest and open feedback.

Incidentally, this is exactly what Avery's Merchants used to do in the 1960s. The Avery 1963 Reserve Vintage Port is a blend of the ports shipped by Taylor, Fonseca and Sandeman.

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I recall someone on FTLOP, it may have been Stuart Chatfield, saying that Taylor's classic VP is greater than the sum of its parts. I wonder of this is proof that that statement is true? One would assume that the bulk of the wine that goes into the classic blend comes from these two great Quintas.

Perhaps they should have declared a full-blown 05 after all :wink:

Derek

PS: I have done this myself a few times at offlines with unremarkable results. I seek no forgiveness :twisted:
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Ghandih
Fonseca LBV

Halibut

Post by Ghandih »

I saw this title and thought you were going to tell us about a lovely piece of halibut you'd had for dinner.

Doesn't seem such a terrible thing to do, to me. Still, there we go - lesson learnt, as you say.
A man who likes vintage ports, and we're not talking Carthage
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

I have 1988 Terra Feita and 1998 Vargellas. Could I make a decent 1993 Taylor's?
The answer is "No"
Port is basically a red drink