Upgrade of Forum Software

Make suggestions and report problems.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: Upgrade of Forum Software

Post by DRT »

NON-DRIVEL UPDATE ON THE UPGRADE

An upgraded version of the auto-backup software has now been installed. It should now backup hourly rather than daily. Happiness.

I cannot find a version of TapaTalk that is compatible with this version of phpBB. This version of phpBB seems to render very well on mobile devices. Happiness.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Doggett
Morgan 1991

Post by Doggett »

jdaw1 wrote: 23:37 Sun 15 Jan 2017 The new things is fabulous — it’ll make it so much easier to post in Apostrophe Crimes.
Deliberate?
Test?
Or just a crime?
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Doggett wrote: 23:48 Sun 15 Jan 2017 Safari definitely had a problem for my apple devices until cache was deleted. Now seems to be ok other than blue styling to go with the red logo.
The blue styling will only go away when we have a new version of our bespoke style sheet. JDAW is the master of style on this forum but was unaware of the upgrade until I SNAFU'ed it earlier today. Please give him time to resolve. Days, not hours. Perhaps even weeks.
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

DRT wrote: 23:50 Sun 15 Jan 2017I cannot find a version of TapaTalk that is compatible with this version of phpBB.
Apparently the upgrade of TapaTalk is on its way.
Ernest H. Cockburn
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

I appreciate that the update to forum software/configuration is likely not complete yet, but thought I should flag that while the threads themselves are perfectly readable currently, the forum index and sub-indexes are barely readable by browser. I see the following, as an example:
Image2.jpg
Image2.jpg (107.52 KiB) Viewed 26684 times
Note that the background logos are moving, not static, which make reading even harder.
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Post by flash_uk »

Phil - you need to clear the browser cache. I had the same issue until Derek suggested clearing the cache.
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

flash_uk wrote: 12:29 Mon 16 Jan 2017 Phil - you need to clear the browser cache. I had the same issue until Derek suggested clearing the cache.
Thanks Mike. Following cache clear all works fine. I did try switching to "ThePortForumRed2016" in the user control panel, but that still currently clearly has issues (image references) but staying with the default "prosilver" all is good for now. Cheers for the tip.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Doggett wrote: 23:52 Sun 15 Jan 2017Deliberate?
Test?
Or just a crime?
I am a sinner.

But nowhere near as much as I’d like to be.
idj123
Morgan 1991

Post by idj123 »

flash_uk wrote: 12:29 Mon 16 Jan 2017 Phil - you need to clear the browser cache. I had the same issue until Derek suggested clearing the cache.
Yes, thanks Mike, otherwise I would have continued to experience withdrawal symptoms! One thing however, I now can't seem to readily see the latest post on my mobile (not a problem on other devices), only by drilling into the topic-anyone give me a quick idiot's guide?
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

idj123 wrote: 14:50 Wed 18 Jan 2017I now can't seem to readily see the latest post on my mobile (not a problem on other devices), only by drilling into the topic-anyone give me a quick idiot's guide?
In the top left hand corner of the screen you should have a symbol made of three horizontal lines. Click that and then select "New posts" :wink:
Ernest H. Cockburn
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

DRT wrote: 00:25 Mon 16 Jan 2017
DRT wrote: 23:50 Sun 15 Jan 2017I cannot find a version of TapaTalk that is compatible with this version of phpBB.
Good stuff; it is appreciated when available.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

PhilW wrote:
This message was posted using TapaTalk :smile:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ernest H. Cockburn
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

DRT wrote: 22:29 Wed 18 Jan 2017
PhilW wrote:
This message was posted using TapaTalk :smile:
Huzzah! Normal service is resumed. Good job Derek :D
idj123
Morgan 1991

Post by idj123 »

DRT wrote: 16:21 Wed 18 Jan 2017
idj123 wrote: 14:50 Wed 18 Jan 2017I now can't seem to readily see the latest post on my mobile (not a problem on other devices), only by drilling into the topic-anyone give me a quick idiot's guide?
In the top left hand corner of the screen you should have a symbol made of three horizontal lines. Click that and then select "New posts" :wink:
Just realised that you have to be logged in for the 'New Posts' link to appear although what I was referring to was now the inability to view the Forum page in full on my mobile ie I can no longer view the right hand part of the home page.
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Post by flash_uk »

idj123 wrote: 14:17 Thu 19 Jan 2017
DRT wrote: 16:21 Wed 18 Jan 2017
Just realised that you have to be logged in for the 'New Posts' link to appear although what I was referring to was now the inability to view the Forum page in full on my mobile ie I can no longer view the right hand part of the home page.
Yes that seems to be the norm behaviour on a phone screen now. On the plus side though, the content is properly sized onto the screen, so for example you don't need to flick across to see the right hand side of the page. So it is now immediately obvious if you are logged in or not as that is permanently visible.

I find it very unhelpful that New Posts is located un the Quick Links pull-down. 99% of the clicks within that pull-down must be on New Posts I would guess, which tells me that a link for New Posts should be permanently in view on the front page. That is feedback for phpBB though, rather than :tpf:
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I think it might be possible to do something about the New Posts thing but only when JDAW has cracked the problem of creating the new version of the style sheets.

I noticed a new feature in the admin area last night that is now enabled: "Quick Reply" - I like it :smile:
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

As a temporary workaround to the "New Posts" thing I have created a link named "View New Posts" in the description area of "Port Conversations" on the front page of the forum.

A more permanent fix will be applied once the new style is available.
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Another way to access new posts quickly is to bookmark search.php?search_id=newposts on your browser or save that url as an icon on your smartphone.
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Something like the usual style should have returned. If it has any problems — such as white writing on a white background — please let me know.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Thank you. From what little I have looked at it looks excellent.
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Thanks to help from someone on the phpBB support forum "New Posts" has now been added to a very accessible place on both the desktop and mobile versions of the forum.
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

DRT wrote: 23:51 Thu 19 Jan 2017 Thanks to help from someone on the phpBB support forum "New Posts" has now been added to a very accessible place on both the desktop and mobile versions of the forum.
Unintended consequence is that clicking on the :tpf: logo now takes you to New Posts rather than the main forum page. A support request has been logged.
Ernest H. Cockburn
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Post by flash_uk »

DRT wrote: 23:51 Thu 19 Jan 2017 Thanks to help from someone on the phpBB support forum "New Posts" has now been added to a very accessible place on both the desktop and mobile versions of the forum.
Superb! Well done Derek, massively useful. Great upgrade.
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

DRT wrote: 00:22 Fri 20 Jan 2017Unintended consequence is that clicking on the :tpf: logo now takes you to New Posts rather than the main forum page. A support request has been logged.
Definitely not a fan of this; I frequently use the logo to return to top to be able to see everything to navigate; having to retype the web address to return to top is horrible.
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

(am also surprised people use the link for "new posts" rather than "unread posts", but perhaps that's just me)