2017 Quinta da Fonte Souto Portalegre Branco

Anything but Port, this includes all wines other than fortified wines (which have their own section) even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
Forum rules
Anything but Port, this includes all non-Port fortified wines even if they call themselves Port. There is a search facility for this part of the forum.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

2017 Quinta da Fonte Souto Portalegre Branco

Post by Andy Velebil »

2017 Quinta da Fonte Souto Portalegre - Portugal, Alentejano, Alentejo, Portalegre (10/10/2019)
This is a new wine from the Symington Family (of the Port fame) and from their newly purchased property in the Portalegre subregion of Alentejo. Had this for lunch, pop and pour, and was immediately taken back by how Burgundian this was. Lots of opulent depth to the body, citrus fruit, peaches, chalk, crisp acidity in the background balances out the depth in the body without overtaking it. The finish persists for a surprisingly long time. I was stunned at how well this showed for an apq $23 (USD) retail wine. There was some left over so I came back to it the next day at lunch to see if my earlier assessment was correct or not. I was shocked, it actually put on a little more weight and the already complex wine gained a touch more. This is perhaps the best value white I've had out of the region. While it is the first vintage, so no benchmark, this should age very well for at least 8-10 years, perhaps more. I never expected a value wine like this to show so well. 94-95 Points
PCM
Cockburn’s Special Reserve

Re: 2017 Quinta da Fonte Souto Portalegre Branco

Post by PCM »

For EU readers it might be interesting to know that Garrafeira Nacional (Lisbon) sells the wines of Quinta da Fonte Souto:
Branco '17 €14.70
Tinto '17 €14.70
Vinho de Souto '17 €41.90

Shipment to most EU countries is free for orders over €150.00