"A Bottle Of Port Which Cost You Less Than £25", 17th Dec, at the B&F

What happened?
rich_n
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

"A Bottle Of Port Which Cost You Less Than £25", 17th Dec, at the B&F

Post by rich_n »

An informal pre-Christmas tasting of ports with the theme "A bottle of port which cost you less than £25" at The Boot & Flogger, theme suggested by winesecretary and organised (with plenty of help from others) by richn.

Links:
Last edited by rich_n on 16:14 Sun 22 Dec 2019, edited 2 times in total.
rich_n
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Re: "A Bottle Of Port Which Cost You Less Than £25", 17th Dec, at the B&F

Post by rich_n »

Did anyone pick up the scoring sheets etc? I realised when I got back that I had left them on the table. If someone did collect them could they please share them here? (They may not be entirely legible, I did make a lot of mistakes as I was filling them out.
winesecretary
Fonseca 1980

Re: "A Bottle Of Port Which Cost You Less Than £25", 17th Dec, at the B&F

Post by winesecretary »

Kudos to Rich for successfully arranging such a fun evening, which again demonstrated the strength-in-depth of even relatively minor wines from the 1970 vintage (as well as the advantageous prices at which you could buy them ten years ago).

WOTN was Charles's Mz70. #2 was Tom's BN70. #3 was Alex's D83.

In terms of blind tasting, I think I recall that CPR1 got 4 points and the one of the robo-guessers 2 points. It is a fair assumption that most of the rest of us did worse than the robo-guessers.

Other than the two Mz70s which were not very similar - showing yet again what 47 years of differing history can do to wine - the surprise of the night for me was the Royal Oporto Quinta do Corval 1977, which I have not seen before, and which was comfortably the best wine I have had from that house.