Wed 1 March 2019 - The Eastern seaboard Vesuvio Box tasting

What happened?
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Wed 1 March 2019 - The Eastern seaboard Vesuvio Box tasting

Post by g-man »

Organization here http://theportforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&p=111212
A merry band of 11 tasters showed up for this offline at the a prestigious white shoed lawfirm in the main war room to hold a vertical tasting of Vesuvios!

Initial impressions were the 94' coming out first, followed either by the 92 or the 95. Sushi has the notes!

For food, we had a spread of cheeses, breads and sichuan chinese food, dishes that included spicy duck tongue! (which i may add is a great pairing!)

Notes to follow.
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Re: Wed 1 March 2019 - The Eastern seaboard Vesuvio Box tasting

Post by SushiNorth »

Tasting Notes: Quinta do Vesuvio Port of the Night:
#1: 1992 (4A's, 3B's 1C)
#2: 1994 (3A's, 3B's, 2C's)
#3: 1995 (2A's, 3B's, 2C's)
Additional points went to 1991, 1997, and 1996 (in that order). Preference to the SWC94 (1 A) and Portal 10Yr was also shown.
JoshDrinksPort
Image Port wine should perhaps be added -- A Trollope
John M
Fonseca LBV

Post by John M »

The 1975 Kopke Colheita was easily the best wine of the night--just outstanding.
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

Overall, I quite enjoyed the opportunity to try a range of maturing Quinta do Vesuvios, but also learned that I don't appreciate their flavor profile. I like the black pepper, licorice, and tobacco flavors when they emerge, and enjoyed the occasional surprising nose, but overall i found them too harsh and nearly every one was distinguishable by what I can only describe as the Vesuvio "bite." In my mouth, i feel like someone has applied a tannic clamp on my tongue, about 1/2" from the tip and all the way around. This wasn't the case for the other wines we had that night.

A great night overall, with good company and an educational theme.
JoshDrinksPort
Image Port wine should perhaps be added -- A Trollope
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

This review is not a great advert for Vesuvio from this era.

The 1994 seems to have been popular in the tastings on both sides of the pond but the others are variable to say the least. Maybe this is just a case of SFE spending a decade finding their way with a previously neglected vineyard?

Perhaps we should now do 1998 to 2016 on both sides of the pond to complete the story? 88)
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

DRT wrote: 00:45 Tue 05 Mar 2019 This review is not a great advert for Vesuvio from this era.

The 1994 seems to have been popular in the tastings on both sides of the pond but the others are variable to say the least. Maybe this is just a case of SFE spending a decade finding their way with a previously neglected vineyard?

Perhaps we should now do 1998 to 2016 on both sides of the pond to complete the story? 88)
Unfortunately, as the tasting was wrapping up, there were snickering comments of "this particular house doesnt seem to appeal to me at all" esp in regards to the earlier vintages.

But certainly, the later/newer vintages of vesuvio have been stunning.
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz