Quevedo, Blend Your Own 20-Year Old Tawny, Thu 13 May 2021

Organise events to meet up and drink Port.
MigSU
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Re: Quevedo, Blend Your Own 20-Year Old Tawny, Thu 13 May 2021

Post by MigSU »

I assume blending in general (in the winery). The quantities you'll be handling are so small (in terms of surface area and time of exposure) that the evaporation can be regarded as negligible (unless you leave them exposed to air for a very, very long time).
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Re: RE: Re: Quevedo, Blend Your Own 20-Year Old Tawny, Thu 13 May 2021

Post by PhilW »

rich_n wrote: 13:11 Wed 12 May 2021Oscar, would you suggest this is necessary for this blending or are you referring to blending in general? I can either cellar cool or fridge cool the components, whichever is preferable for the session.
I suspect Oscar was referring to the lower temperature for the actual blending of large quantities of the wine (to minimise lose while mixing) rather than while tasting/mixing samples. For sample-bottles I usually keep them in the fridge 6-8C (rather than cellar) before the tasting, and then take them out and pour into glass 10mins before, which means they're probably at 10-12C at the start of the tasting, but they'll rise to room temp fairly quickly.
oscar quevedo
Fonseca LBV

Re: RE: Re: Quevedo, Blend Your Own 20-Year Old Tawny, Thu 13 May 2021

Post by oscar quevedo »

rich_n wrote: 13:11 Wed 12 May 2021 Oscar, would you suggest this is necessary for this blending or are you referring to blending in general? I can either cellar cool or fridge cool the components, whichever is preferable for the session.
Hi Rich, I mean for blending at the winery. For our excercise tomorrow the evaporations will be minimal.
rich_n
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Quevedo, Blend Your Own 20-Year Old Tawny, Thu 13 May 2021

Post by rich_n »

oscar quevedo wrote:
rich_n wrote: 13:11 Wed 12 May 2021 Oscar, would you suggest this is necessary for this blending or are you referring to blending in general? I can either cellar cool or fridge cool the components, whichever is preferable for the session.
Hi Rich, I mean for blending at the winery. For our excercise tomorrow the evaporations will be minimal.
Great, that's what I'd assumed but wanted to be sure. Looking forward to the session, thanks for the response!
Doggett
Morgan 1991

Re: Quevedo, Blend Your Own 20-Year Old Tawny, Thu 13 May 2021

Post by Doggett »

What a great tasting! Spoilers if you intend on catching up on YouTube and haven’t yet. Really interesting to do something slightly unusual and a lot was learnt along the way. The four components were all lovely wines, albeit quite different. Component 1 was a 1997 Colheita, quite Ruby like as it was aged in a much larger wooden vessel than component 3. Component 2 was a base 20YO blend to deliver the consistency across the years, it was much lighter in body with more volitile acidity. Component 3 was a 2003 Colheita that was stunning on its own with More tawny like characteristics than the ‘97 as it was aged in a smaller 550l barrel, very fresh, great body and layers of flavour. The final component (4) was a 70s blend of years under times between 1970 and 1975 that probably included white grapes in the field blend. This was another lovely wine. Crystal clear, lovely heat and acidity and loads of complexity and flavour.

The effect of the wood ageing in different sized barrels was really interesting and not something I had considered before. It was also both fun and interesting to guess at the percentages of the varying components that would be required to deliver the Final 20YO blend that we were also lucky enough to enjoy a bottle of. Oscar and Fred delivered a fun and engaging presentation as always and Tony and The VWP team a great job in making it all possible. All samples were in the now preferred minimum tasting sample size of 9cl and all of my samples were crystal clear and in great condition. On the night I marginally preferred component 4 but the next day with the final ‘dribbles’ the 2003 was showing wonderfully and is a port I hope to seek out. Thanks again to all for a great tasting/evening.