1997 Quinta do Passadouro

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

1997 Quinta do Passadouro vintage port

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Deep and intense crimson colour. Quite closed on the nose, but showing some nice blueberries under a sharp and peppery basil. Initially nicely fruity in the mouth with lots of sweet blackcurrants. The acidity of the wine works its way to the fore and then the tannins explode, albeit with restraint and roundness and never dominating the fruit. A slight burn in the mouth leaves the cheeks tingling before a long aftertaste of aniseed takes hold and fades elegantly. This is a delicious port for drinking now, with plenty of fruit and a lot of structure. Given how easy drinking it is today, I am not sure if this will ever be better than it is now, but I suspect that it will be no worse in 10 years. 88/100. Drunk on 2/7/08 after 1 hour in the decanter.
Last edited by Alex Bridgeman on 21:57 Mon 25 Mar 2013, edited 1 time in total.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

This was a very enjoyable drink and a good start (and finish) to the evening. The only thing troubling me with this port is the heat. It may be something of a vintage characteristic, because I've noticed it on other 1997 ports as well. I hope it will blow off with the years, but I'm not sure.

Given my experience with Passadouro VP's (I've tasted most since 1992), I would not leave this in the cellar for very long, but enjoy it over the next 5-8 years.
Port_funghifoodie
Cheap Ruby

Re: 1997 Quinta do Passadouro

Post by Port_funghifoodie »

Delicious and a real celebration port if on a budget. Got this for about £50 I think. Colour resembling older tawny, burnt red-ish. Alcohol is prevalent; clouds the after-taste at times unfortunately. Big fruity nose and overal lots of fruit. Couldn’t put it down. Decanted for 4 hours and got much better afterwards.