1997 Pocas Colheita

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
rich_n
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

1997 Pocas Colheita

Post by rich_n »

PnP - A lot of citrus and butterscotch on the nose, a touch of citrus on the palate with a lot of a flavour that reminds me of popcorn Jelly Belly jelly beans. Glenn informs me that I'm finding acetic acid, which is a buttery note and sounds accurate. Nutty with butterscotch and toffee which makes it sound sweet, however citric acidity and some peppery spice cuts through that very well.

Enjoyable, but unfortunately I only purchased a single bottle of this when I was visiting Poças. If I had more I doubt it would last long. Very good!
Mike J. W.
Taylor’s LBV

Re: 1997 Pocas Colheita

Post by Mike J. W. »

Rich,

I'm a fan of the Pocas Colheitas and TWAIOA. They're pretty easy to find in NJ and I have multiple bottles of the '92 and '97. Both are good, but I like the '92 over the '97. Their 30 yo Tawny is very nice as well. One of the other major selling points is that you can get the recent issue Colheitas and TWAIOA at very cheaply. I've bought the 30 yo for under $60 at times which is flat out ridiculous, but I'm not complaining. Now if I could only find the 40 yo at a good price.
rich_n
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Re: RE: Re: 1997 Pocas Colheita

Post by rich_n »

Mike J. W. wrote:Rich,

I'm a fan of the Pocas Colheitas and TWAIOA. They're pretty easy to find in NJ and I have multiple bottles of the '92 and '97. Both are good, but I like the '92 over the '97. Their 30 yo Tawny is very nice as well. One of the other major selling points is that you can get the recent issue Colheitas and TWAIOA at very cheaply. I've bought the 30 yo for under $60 at times which is flat out ridiculous, but I'm not complaining. Now if I could only find the 40 yo at a good price.
Yes, I think they're up there among the best tawny makers out of those I've tried. I was fortunate that Tony organised a tasting out there for myself and a friend when we were in Portugal and they were very welcoming. I actually preferred the 30 year old over the 40, it was absolutely beautiful. The 40 was obviously delicious but not quite as stunning, which much just be down to my palate and preferences of course!