2000 Warre

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
rich_n
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

2000 Warre

Post by rich_n »

From a half bottle taken to my parents to enjoy alongside a 40th birthday dinner and the following couple of days. I'm aware some here will be shocked that a half bottle could survive for several days but I can assure that it was consumed alongside a delicious range of other alcohol that slowed our pace/allowed us to savour its journey over that time.

PnP - Strawberries and redcurrants on the nose. Redcurrant on the palate alongside a lot of milk chocolate and caramel. I am drinking this with my father and he notes damson on the palate and some lychee on the finish which I can also find.

+8 hours - this has changed somewhat and maybe grown up a bit. The milk chocolate and caramel sweetness is still there but it's in they background now. The nose is more muted. Tart red berries lead the charge alongside eucalyptus and aniseed. Chocolate (darker) and damson in the finish which is still lovely and long.

+ 36 hours - much less red fruit now, this is starting to be dominated by the eucalyptus and a newly prominent citrus acidity; an orange zest that cuts through beautifully. A little chocolate on the finish.

+ 4 days - I had left some port behind for my dad to finish, he says there's an umani note on the nose and is getting "fine balsamic vinegar that doesn't taste of vinegar at all", which I completely understand. It sounds amazing and I'm sad that I'm not there to enjoy the dregs with him.

A very good port!
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: 2000 Warre

Post by Andy Velebil »

Thanks. I've just acquired a 750ml bottle to open soon as I wanted to check in on it. I now know a long decant is needed.
rich_n
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Re: RE: Re: 2000 Warre

Post by rich_n »

Andy Velebil wrote:Thanks. I've just acquired a 750ml bottle to open soon as I wanted to check in on it. I now know a long decant is needed.
The bottle I had certainly improved significantly over time, a long decant won't hurt.