2018 Calem

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
rich_n
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

2018 Calem

Post by rich_n »

This port was brought by myself to a week away in the countryside and consumed alongside a 1989 Burmester kindly provided by a friend to explore the difference between a very young port and one entering its early mature phase.

PnP - a quick quality check reveals a very muted nose that hides a full and lush fruit-heavy palate. Plenty of dark cherries lead the way with a pleasant pepperiness to hold the sweetness in check. A little caramel. Long, slightly medicinal finish. Lovely.

+8hrs - dark fruits on the nose but quite muted. Much punchier on the palate, gorgeous dark fruits, plum, alongside caramel, vanilla and deep chocolate notes. A little eucalyptus and pepper in the back. Plenty of tannic grip. Long finish with dark and red cherries alongside more eucalyptus.

+3 days - over the past couple of days this has evolved while continuing to be delicious. The palate is now dominated by eucalyptus, peppery heat and red cherries, with the tannins bringing in grip and underpinned by a minerality that's complimented by hints of the caramel and chocolate sweetness that has now faded to the background. Very enjoyable even though still very young, I could drink a lot of this as it is right now, however I suspect that might be a waste!
Last edited by rich_n on 21:50 Sat 16 Oct 2021, edited 1 time in total.