NV Churchill Club Tawny

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

NV Churchill Club Tawny

Post by Glenn E. »

From a sample kindly sent to me by Justin; tasted blind.

NV Churchill Club Tawny
bottled 2021

Color: medium dark tawny with significant red notes, very clear.

Nose: rather faint, possibly due to temp (pulled from fridge 30 min ahead of tasting). Nose has more ruby notes than exhibited in the color. Lik-a-Stik. Light strawberry with some faint caramelized notes. Faint whiff of Biscoff cookies.

Palate: tastes like a young colheita or possibly a 10YO blend, though it does seem older than 10. I.e. still showing a significant amount of ruby, while definitely headed toward tawny, but not exhibiting enough age to be a 20YO. Smooth, then decent acidity and some faint tannins. Sugars are nicely balanced with the acidity putting it in the off-dry to medium range. (Not medium sweet.) The most prominent fruit seems to be cranberry, with some less-than-ripe raspberry backing it up. There’s also a background note of caramelizing fruits, but not yet caramel.

Finish: pleasant, fairly short, some bitterness from latent cranberry flavor.

Score: 91 points. This is a nice Port, but for my taste it is sitting in that strange realm between ruby and tawny that I generally avoid. Another 10 (or 20) years in wood, please!
Glenn Elliott