NV Conceito Tawny 10YO (bottled 2016)

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
slateshalehead
Fonseca Bin 27

NV Conceito Tawny 10YO (bottled 2016)

Post by slateshalehead »

Medium ruby color, lighter than I expected for a tawny. T-cork showed some mold near where the cork met the plastic, but this did not seem to extend down to where the cork was exposed to the wine. Some minor sediment. Bright fruit notes, settling into a strong cherry, with a brief lingering taste. None of the more full-bodied or woody notes I expected from a tawny. Wife compared it to some Moscatel de Setubal wines we've previously had. 2016 bottling.

As an aside, the label for the bottle itself was a very eye-catching design that set this port apart from many others.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Re: NV Conceito 10 YO

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

That’s an unusual bottle. Where / when did you buy it?
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
slateshalehead
Fonseca Bin 27

Re: NV Conceito 10YO Tawny

Post by slateshalehead »

I bought it just about a week ago in one of rural Pennsylvania's state-run liquor stores (basically the only place we can purchase alcohol). It was "on clearance" due to having sat on a shelf for a while, but that's not usual for ports as they don't really move much in rural areas. I did some research on Conceito and Rita Marques (their head winemaker) when I saw it on the shelf and decided that for $24 it was worth a shot. I think the store still has two bottles left, but I'm not sure if I'll be picking them up given the cork mold issue.
slateshalehead
Fonseca Bin 27

Post by slateshalehead »

+24 hours, decanted and chilled. Nose is slightly dulled, as is the fruit-forward top note. The more I drink it, the more it surprised me that it is a 10 YO tawny. It seems less robust and complex than I would hope with that kind of age statement.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

Don't let the mold worry you. Just means it was stored in a humid cellar, a good thing. It won't penetrate down into the wine. Just wipe off before you pour it.