1991 Gould Campbell

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Will W.
Taylor’s LBV

1991 Gould Campbell

Post by Will W. »

Imbibed after an eight-hour decant, this bottle was much like the last opened from the same lot in December 2020.

In the glass, the wine was maroon in colour and semi-opaque with a clear rim. Dark cherry dominated at the nose, suggesting a rather fruit-forward style notwithstanding the additional notes of lilac, lacquered wood and spice. At the fore-palate, the cherry was again in evidence, giving way to black chocolate and chili powder – a combination which, in the form of a sweet, I would find revolting. However, the concoction worked here and carried on agreeably through the back and into the finish, whereupon the cherry reappeared for a curtain call just when I thought it time to quit the theatre. My only quibble with this solid performance was a touch of heat manifesting itself during the final act - which had not been noticed at the previous show.

The acidity level of the wine cut nicely through the medium sweetness, making for a well-balanced port. Whilst it will never rival, say, the ’48 Taylor’s which I opened the week following this 06 August 2021 tasting, the 1991 Gould Campbell constitutes most agreeable drinking at the price and, at its best, is as good as any vintage port produced from that year. Indeed, the gentle tannins which remain in evidence suggest that another point or more might be had in five to ten years. If you can find any of this underrated wine at a favourable tariff, do buy it for current and future consumption.

-90 points