NV Dalva White (Dry Reserve)

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

NV Dalva White (Dry Reserve)

Post by JacobH »

This is an aged wine, which has apparently spent 7 years in oak, although it is not clear from their website how much of that is in large and how much in small barrels.

The colour is rather attractive; somewhere between golden and dark straw.

The nose has some light fruits (apricots, perhaps?). These are repeated in the mouth, followed by a lovely and surprisingly-long aftertaste which is really very nutty. Again, I don’t think “dry” is the right description for this; it is really off-dry, with just enough sugar to fill out the mouth-feel and make it feel like a decent Port.

Readers of :tpf: may think I have lost the plot with endless positive reviews of white Ports but this is another one which I really rate. I think it might actually beat the Churchill Reserve White which is my usual go-to Reserve White. I suppose we shouldn’t be surprised. Dalva probably makes the largest range of white Ports of any shippers. In addition to this Port, they also have two basic whites (a “white” and a “dry white”); the full range of 10, 20, 30 and 40 YOs; and, of course, the famous range of “Golden White” colheitas. If anyone knows what they are doing with blending white Ports, it should be them!