2005 Cruz

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

2005 Cruz

Post by JacobH »

I am a very strong believer that one should revisit and test prejudices and assumptions, especially when it comes to Port. Accordingly (but not without some trepidation) I try the 2005 Cruz.

The colour is really quite light. Completely transparent, it is more red than purple, although only fading a little bit. The nose is quite subdued with little on offer. In the mouth, there are no tannins left, little fruit and a strange bitter aftertaste. It is not undrinkable but it is not a good vintage port. I don’t think I would have guessed it would have been a VP at all, blind. Perhaps an elderly ruby or unfiltered LBV? Rather like the 1989, I don’t quite understand how it got past the IVDP.

Incidentally, I also tried the unfiltered 2003 LBV. It looks a measure darker than the 2005 VP. The nose has good concentrated fruits which carry on into the mouth. There are some tannins left, too. It is not a blockbuster but it is perfectly pleasant to drink at a good state of maturity and is very good value.