NV Dow Crusted 2012

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
rich_n
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

NV Dow Crusted 2012

Post by rich_n »

PnP - quick QC test on opening revealed an initial lovely sweet strawberry note on the nose followed by red cherries and a little eucalyptus note. A bright, sweet red fruit note on entry with a touch of pepper and maybe some clove on the mid palate. The finish is slightly peppery with more eucalyptus. A little tannic grip around the edges but not much. Currently lightweight and easy drinking, I'll be interested to see what some time in the decanter does for it.

+7 hours - much more depth to it all now. The nose is gorgeous, strawberries and vanilla with a deep black cherry. On the palate there's more of the same, with a touch of pepper and milk chocolate. Caramel appeared later in the evening. This is a lovely wine right now - not hugely complex but immensely drinkable and pairs wonderfully with some 70% dark chocolate (thanks to Tony for the nudge in that direction on the virtual tasting).

+ 1 day - a spicier nose with some pepper heat alongside the initial red fruits. Much more punchy pepper on the palate that now dominates the entry, followed by full red berries and eucalyptus that then open into caramel and milk chocolate. Medium dry finish with more pepper. This is now more complex and maybe not quite as easy drinking, however I'm really enjoying its evolution.

+2 days - red cherry and a touch of tobacco and wood on the nose today. Loads of caramel on the entry followed by a wave of pepper. Hints of cherry, then more caramel and milk chocolate. A medicinal note on the finish, not quite eucalyptus but similar. A little lightweight now, but still quite drinkable.

This is a delightful and very enjoyable port, I have quite a lot more and will look forward to enjoying it again in the near future.