2016 Quinta das Tecedeiras

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Will W.
Taylor’s LBV

2016 Quinta das Tecedeiras

Post by Will W. »

Consumed on 27 December 2020 after a nine-hour decant, the infancy of this port was reflected initially in its entirely opaque, dark magenta colour which painted the sides of the glass magnificently with every turn of the stemware. At the nose, blackberries and mulberries confronted the olfactory nerve head on, with all the subtlety of Chinese infantry assaulting UN positions during the 1951 spring offensive – with skirmishing parties composed of nutmeg, lemon grass and freshly cut wood in action on the flanks. At the fore palate, the black fruits remained in evidence, complemented by a touch of Christmas pudding, though all this gave way quickly to lime sherbet, with pine needles serving as a bridge betwixt the sweet and tart sensations. Try as I might, I could discern nothing at the back save the tannins which, admittedly, were manageable even for one as intolerant of young wines as myself. Much like the back, the finish was somewhat undistinguished: there was nothing in evidence for the most part save the tannic spine, though with patience one could discern, if only just, the meat of the grapes attempting to break through their skins. More generally, this medium-bodied wine was bereft of any unpleasant heat; and, as far as I could tell through the tannins, it sits on the dry side of the vintage port spectrum. Whilst I tend to avoid young ports, the 2016 Quinta das Tecedeiras struck me as approachable already – not on its own, though most certainly were it to be paired with a well-marbled steak. At its peak, presumably in fifteen to twenty years, this port might reasonably be expected to clear the ninety-point hurdle. For now:

-88 points