2018 Quevedo

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
akzy
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

2018 Quevedo

Post by akzy »

2018 Quevedo (cask sample)
Tasted on 30/07/20 as part of the Quevedo white port tasting hosted by Oscar Quevedo, the BFT and VWP.

A very funky nose which I can only explain by an unfortunate bottling into the small containers - not rated.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: 2018 Quevedo (cask sample)

Post by JacobH »

Notes: A cask sample. Opaque purple throughout. Incredibly concentrated on grapes on the nose. In the mouth, again lots of grapes but less fruit than I might expect. Quite dry, too. Oscar Quevedo suggests violets and orange blossom: I agree. Strong acidity and tannins. Quaffable now. Will be interesting to see how it develops.

Tasted at: Quevedo Virtual White Port Tasting

Date: 30th July 2020

Rated*: P+

http://www.jacob-head.com/port/records/ ... do_2018_VP

* A Note on Ratings

My rating system attempts to answer the question “is this a good Port?” one of three ways: N—No; P—Possibly; or C—Certainly. Ports generally are rated against others of their category. Therefore, a Ruby Port which I rate as C for Certainly good, might not be as good as a Vintage Port which receives the same rating. I sometimes modify my rating with a plus or minus indicating that the Port is better or worse than might be expected for this category.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: 2018 Quevedo (cask sample)

Post by JacobH »

I opened another sample of this tonight, from (I think) the final blend rather than the cask. It was quite similar to the cask sample tried a year ago. The nose is perhaps less dominant by grapes. The mouth is much tighter: fewer grapes and really very dry. The acidity well balanced and the tannins a strong but not abrasive or aggressive. There is still a floral element detected last year. Without the flowers we would be into Dow territory. One for the long-term on this showing.