Wanted Thread

Anything to do with Port.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Wanted Thread

Post by JacobH »

Having seen a few threads on :tpf: where members have asked others to keep an eye out for specific Ports, I thought it might be an idea to have a ‟wanted” thread where those of us who are after specific bottles could advertise. I’m particularly thinking of odd bottles needed to fill out collections or for anniversaries (&c.). The general wish to buy good Port at good prices goes without saying!

Hopefully we may find that other :tpf: members have them already and a swap could occur; otherwise perhaps flagging them up here might mean that if anyone has some and is searching the web, planing to sell, they might come across this thread and offer them.

I’ll be happy to update this top post as necessary.

AHB in the UK would like to buy:
  • Pinto dos Santos 1963, Barros 1963, Berry Brothers 1963, Douro Wine Shippers Association 1963, Feist 1963, Kopke 1963, Krohn 1963, Messias 1963, Quinta De La Rosa 1963, Ramos Pinto 1963, Rocheda 1963, Rozes 1963, Tuke Holdsworth 1963, Hedges & Butler (or Butler Nephew) 1963 and any small independent quintas who may have produced a port in 1963.
AlexM in the UK would like to buy:
  • Taylor’s Quinta de Vargellas: 1961, 1964, 1968, 1970, 1972, 1974, 1976 and 1982;
  • Quinta do Noval 1995.
BenR in the UK would like to buy:
  • Any 1970 Vintage Port.
Christopher in the UK would like to buy:
  • Any Vintage Port bottled by Paton and Co (who used to bottle in Peterborough).
clawhit in the UK would like to buy:
  • Cockburn 1927.
DRT in the UK needs to buy:
  • Any 1965 Vintage Port.
g-man in the USA would like to buy:
  • Fonseca 1970.
Glenn.E in the USA would like to buy:
  • Any 1964 vintage Port.
  • Niepoort 1964 Garrafeira.
  • Any 1964 colheitas under $100.
  • Original Wooden Case of Quinta do Vesuvio 2000 for $360 or less.
JacobH in the UK would like to buy:
  • Graham’s Malvedos 1958, 1957 or older.
  • An original edition of Gerald Cobb’s ‟Oporto Older and Newer”.
smisse in the Netherlands woud like to buy:
  • Any 1981 Vintage Port.
Last edited by JacobH on 09:00 Sat 23 Jul 2011, edited 15 times in total.
Alex M
Quinta do Noval LBV

Re: Wanted Thread

Post by Alex M »

Good idea!

I am currently on the hunt for TQdVargellas 61,64,68,70,72,74,76,82.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

Alex M wrote:I am currently on the hunt for TQdVargellas 61,64,68,70,72,74,76,82.
Added 88)
benread
Niepoort 1977

Post by benread »

Anything 1970 now the prices should be a bit more reasonable!
Ben
-------
Vintage 1970 and now proud owner of my first ever 'half-century'!
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

benread wrote:Anything 1970 now the prices should be a bit more reasonable!
Any ones in particular? My main idea was to help people find unusual bottles and there are quite a lot of ’70s out there at the moment!
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

maybe for you guys in the UK!!!

i'm looking to stock some fonseca 70s!
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

g-man wrote:maybe for you guys in the UK!!!

There is a fair amount of 1970 vintage on offer at the moment; it's not difficult to find with a little bit of patience. For example, Christies in December sold 6½ cases of Taylor 1970 for an average (including buyer's premium) of £80 per bottle and 6 cases of Warre 1970 for an average of £45 per bottle.

Fonseca 1970 is quite rare to see at auction and seems to attract quite a lot of demand, generally selling in the £75-85 per bottle range. I only saw it sold 3 times last year and one of those occasions was for £95 a bottle.

It's always quite difficult to help without an idea of the budget available. If you want F70 and have a budget of £50 per bottle, we're unlikely to be able to help. If you have a budget of £100 per bottle then we'll almost certainly be able to help. However, putting a budget on your "wants" list may actually have the effect of changing the market price if you are looking for unusual bottles and have reasonably deep pockets.

And as for me, I am looking for 1963 vintage ports with which to celebrate my 50th birthday in 2013. Specifically I am looking for the following wines, which I don't have already:
Pinto dos Santos, Barros, Berry Brothers own label, Douro Wine Shippers Association, Feist, Kopke, Krohn, Messias, De La Rosa, Ramos Pinto, Rocheda, Rozes, Tuke Holdsworth, Hedges & Butler (or Butler Nephew) and any small independent quintas who may have produced a port in 1963 that I would not have heard about. If anyone sees one of these on offer or hears about one of these, please let me know by PM. I'm happy to swap or buy.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

AHB wrote:It's always quite difficult to help without an idea of the budget available. If you want F70 and have a budget of £50 per bottle, we're unlikely to be able to help. If you have a budget of £100 per bottle then we'll almost certainly be able to help. However, putting a budget on your "wants" list may actually have the effect of changing the market price if you are looking for unusual bottles and have reasonably deep pockets.
This is what I was worried about in starting the thread, particularly your last sentence. However, I thought it would be worth having a Wanted list for odds-and-ends of bottles that people are after.
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

AHB wrote:
g-man wrote:maybe for you guys in the UK!!!

There is a fair amount of 1970 vintage on offer at the moment; it's not difficult to find with a little bit of patience. For example, Christies in December sold 6½ cases of Taylor 1970 for an average (including buyer's premium) of £80 per bottle and 6 cases of Warre 1970 for an average of £45 per bottle.

Fonseca 1970 is quite rare to see at auction and seems to attract quite a lot of demand, generally selling in the £75-85 per bottle range. I only saw it sold 3 times last year and one of those occasions was for £95 a bottle.

It's always quite difficult to help without an idea of the budget available. If you want F70 and have a budget of £50 per bottle, we're unlikely to be able to help. If you have a budget of £100 per bottle then we'll almost certainly be able to help. However, putting a budget on your "wants" list may actually have the effect of changing the market price if you are looking for unusual bottles and have reasonably deep pockets.

And as for me, I am looking for 1963 vintage ports with which to celebrate my 50th birthday in 2013. Specifically I am looking for the following wines, which I don't have already:
Pinto dos Santos, Barros, Berry Brothers own label, Douro Wine Shippers Association, Feist, Kopke, Krohn, Messias, De La Rosa, Ramos Pinto, Rocheda, Rozes, Tuke Holdsworth, Hedges & Butler (or Butler Nephew) and any small independent quintas who may have produced a port in 1963 that I would not have heard about. If anyone sees one of these on offer or hears about one of these, please let me know by PM. I'm happy to swap or buy.
damn I was worried you say that,

i've been seeing hte f70 in the states go at auctino for about 160$/us which is what you guys see inthe UK.
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

I'm always on the lookout for any vintage Port from 1964. I currently have Noval Nacional, Fonseca Guimaraens, Graham Malvedos, and Taylor Vargellas. The only other that I'm aware of (and am confident actually exists, as opposed to being a mis-listed Colheita) is a 1964 Niepoort Garrafeira which is extremely rare.

I'm also happy to find Colheitas under $100. I have a good supply of the Noval Colheita, the Dow Reserve (Colheita), and the Krohn White Colheita but would appreciate hearing about any that people find.

On an unrelated note, I'm also looking for a 6-pack of 2000 Vesuvio with OWC for a reasonable (US) price. Something in the $60/bottle or less range would be ideal, but I might be persuaded to go higher.
Glenn Elliott
clawhit
Warre’s Warrior

Post by clawhit »

I would love to own another 1927 Cockburn, purchased a bottle for £160 in December and would love to secure some more at around this price as unfortunately the December purchase didn't last very long and it blew me away at how good it was.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

All added to the list!
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

A minor correction, which I didn't make clear enough in my original post. I'm looking for 1964 Colheitas under $100.

I am, of course, always happy to find good Colheitas under $100, but it's really only the ones from 1964 that I need help with. :wink:
Glenn Elliott
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

Glenn E. wrote:I am, of course, always happy to find good Colheitas under $100, but it's really only the ones from 1964 that I need help with. :wink:
I was thinking that it wasn’t too hard to find colheitas for under that price...even in the states! :wink: I’ll make the change.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

As all who have known me for some time will already know, I am only with you today because of my rigorous adherence to the theory that if I drink a vintage port from my birth year within one week of my birthday each year I am guaranteed to live for at least 54 weeks. If anyone doubts that this is true please feel free to explain why I have not died yet.

So, now that the science is out of the way, and, it would seem, undisputed: can I please ask that "DRT NEEDS more 1965 VP" be added to the list?

At this point in time I only have a guaranteed lifespan of 17 years :shock:
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Christopher
Niepoort LBV

Post by Christopher »

Hi Jacob
What a great idea!
I am interested in buying ports which were bottled by Paton and Co who used to bottle in Peterborough.
They do occasionally come up for auction.
Many thanks
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

I've added DRT's and Christopher's requests.

Incidentally, for this to work, I hope that anyone who has asked for things to be added to this list will keep an eye out for the others when buying Port and will let the other posters know if they come across anything.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

JacobH wrote: JacobH in the UK would like to buy:
  • An original edition of Charles Seller’s ‟Oporto Old and New”.
  • An original edition of Gerald Cobb’s ‟Oporto Older and Newer”.
DRT needs these too!

Jacob, do you have any edition of Cobb's book? I've never found a copy.
Ernest H. Cockburn
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

DRT wrote: DRT needs these too!

Jacob, do you have any edition of Cobb's book? I've never found a copy.
No, sorry. Was just copying what I had written for Seller’s book where there are a few scanned editions around but few originals.

There is a copy of Cobb’s book in the Guildhall Library, which I might have a look at when I have some more time on my hands next month. It looks like a shorter work than Seller’s, and I wouldn’t be surprised if it didn’t have the lavish illustrations of the original.

For the record, my interest in having an original of Seller is so I can produce decent scans of the illustrations to allow a new edition to be published. If anyone could lend me a copy on that basis, I would be very happy.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

The IVDP Library in Oporto have original copies of both of these books. The Cobb book is nothing compared to the original work by Sellers.

If either of us stumble across a copy of Sellers it appears that the best plan is for me to buy it and you to borrow and scan it :wink:
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

The British Library also have a copy of Sellers at Shelfmark 10162.k.1.
Ernest H. Cockburn
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

DRT wrote:If either of us stumble across a copy of Sellers it appears that the best plan is for me to buy it and you to borrow and scan it :wink:
Hmm...I suppose if you were willing to buy a few copies of my new edition... :wink:
DRT wrote:The British Library also have a copy of Sellers at Shelfmark 10162.k.1.
I saw that, and am planning on having a look when I next go there. 88) It seems like there are quite a few copies in public libraries in the UK but, regrettably, not one in a borrowable place.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

JacobH wrote:
DRT wrote:If either of us stumble across a copy of Sellers it appears that the best plan is for me to buy it and you to borrow and scan it :wink:
Hmm...I suppose if you were willing to buy a few copies of my new edition... :wink:
If you produce one I will certainly buy it :D
Ernest H. Cockburn
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

DRT wrote:
JacobH wrote:
If you produce one I will certainly buy it :D
I ought to get on with it, then...
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Getting back on topic: AlexM - I have two bottles of Vargellas 76 and would be happy to trade one for something suitable. PM me if you're interested.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.