Latest buy

Anything to do with Port.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: Latest buy

Post by JacobH »

I suppose if he really wanted to avoid putting 2016 on the label, turning it into a Crusted Port would be the obvious way to do it. Although I've never been quite sure when or why Niepoort makes a Crusted and how they are supposed to rate compared to their LBVs.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Latest buy

Post by JacobH »

rich_n wrote:
uncle tom wrote:
I'm intrigued to see what the 2016-2018 LBVs offer over the next couple of years.
I'm looking out for the Niepoort 2016 LBV with interest. 2016 was the year Niepoort had it's big family upset, and Dirk couldn't bring himself to declare a regular VP, only declaring a small amount of Bioma. Officially, it didn't make the grade, but I got the strong impression that wasn't the real reason.

Will the best juice go into the LBV? I'm not sure, but I doubt Dirk is that keen to be reminded of those dark months by having large numbers of casks aging with that year on..
That is certainly good to know! The Niepoort LBV seems to be less widely available than some of the bigger houses so I'll have to keep an eye out. Portugal Vineyards was a useful source but I'm unclear on whether that's a possible option for 2021. Thanks for sharing the information!
Uncorked in Bishopsgate and Theatre of Wine in Greenwich / Tufnell Park / Leytonstone usually have it in stock and sometimes the older vintages too. It tends to be a bit more expensive than most supermarket LBV (except the undiscounted Warre) - perhaps £20-£25 a bottle?
rich_n
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Latest buy

Post by rich_n »

JacobH wrote:
rich_n wrote:
uncle tom wrote:
I'm intrigued to see what the 2016-2018 LBVs offer over the next couple of years.
I'm looking out for the Niepoort 2016 LBV with interest. 2016 was the year Niepoort had it's big family upset, and Dirk couldn't bring himself to declare a regular VP, only declaring a small amount of Bioma. Officially, it didn't make the grade, but I got the strong impression that wasn't the real reason.

Will the best juice go into the LBV? I'm not sure, but I doubt Dirk is that keen to be reminded of those dark months by having large numbers of casks aging with that year on..
That is certainly good to know! The Niepoort LBV seems to be less widely available than some of the bigger houses so I'll have to keep an eye out. Portugal Vineyards was a useful source but I'm unclear on whether that's a possible option for 2021. Thanks for sharing the information!
Uncorked in Bishopsgate and Theatre of Wine in Greenwich / Tufnell Park / Leytonstone usually have it in stock and sometimes the older vintages too. It tends to be a bit more expensive than most supermarket LBV (except the undiscounted Warre) - perhaps £20-£25 a bottle?
My favourite Bristol wine merchant normally has it (currently the 2015) in that £20-22 range which is fine for a single bottle but I rarely see them discount their ports. Maybe if the 2016 is spectacular I'll see if they'll give me a discount on a case.
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

I'll bung an email off to Raymond - Dirk's UK agent - to see when and how much he's expecting to get.
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

Although I've never been quite sure when or why Niepoort makes a Crusted
One of my great revelations with port was discovering just how absurd making wines from a single vintage is. Blending stocks from a single vintage to make a good wine is far harder than working with stocks from different years. It is possible to create a first division crusted port from leftover second division stocks from a variety of years.
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

uncle tom wrote: 13:51 Sun 03 Jan 2021 One of my great revelations with port was discovering just how absurd making wines from a single vintage is. Blending stocks from a single vintage to make a good wine is far harder than working with stocks from different years. It is possible to create a first division crusted port from leftover second division stocks from a variety of years.
Yes. Absolutely. The other advantage of Crusted is that, unlike most blended wines, there isn’t a particular need to be consistent from year to year. I sometimes worry that with other blended wines the aim for consistency means that they are produced to a lowest common denominator (so that even if there is a run of bad years it can still be made) rather than from a blank sheet of paper asking “what is the very best 10-year-old tawny we can make this year from our stocks?”

My particular curiosity with Niepoort is that their Crusted seems to be quite infrequently produced: their website lists 2007, 2011, 2012 bottlings and then, apparently, three different ones in 2014 but nothing since then. But I guess the Niepoort ranges change like the winds so nothing should surprise me!
nac
Fonseca 1980

Post by nac »

AHB wrote: 14:58 Wed 30 Dec 2020 In an effort to avoid JDAW cornering the market in £9 bottles of Graham 2015 LBV I visited Waitrose this morning and bought the only 4 bottles they had.

I hadn’t realised there was a range of colours of the tubes. I now have red, blue and gold.
Also took advantage of Waitrose offer and just received delivery of six of the Graham 2015 LBV (3 red tubes and 3 gold/orange tubes - sadly no blue). These were accompanied by two each of the Taylor, Graham and Noval 10-year old Tawnies (which were mostly on offer as well), so will be conducting a small horizontal tasting at some point.
rich_n

Re: RE: Re: Latest buy

Post by rich_n »

nac wrote:
AHB wrote: 14:58 Wed 30 Dec 2020 In an effort to avoid JDAW cornering the market in £9 bottles of Graham 2015 LBV I visited Waitrose this morning and bought the only 4 bottles they had.

I hadn’t realised there was a range of colours of the tubes. I now have red, blue and gold.
Also took advantage of Waitrose offer and just received delivery of six of the Graham 2015 LBV (3 red tubes and 3 gold/orange tubes - sadly no blue). These were accompanied by two each of the Taylor, Graham and Noval 10-year old Tawnies (which were mostly on offer as well), so will be conducting a small horizontal tasting at some point.
Likewise, my Waitrose order arrived this morning with 3 of each colour and 3 2015 Sandeman LBV since they were on offer too.
nac
Fonseca 1980

Post by nac »

Continuing the current LBV lovefest, have just ordered six bottles of Maynard’s 2015 from Aldi. £9.49 a bottle & free delivery.

Hopefully they deliver the correct wine this time as I really don’t want any more of the Fletcher’s Ruby.
JKristiansen
Cockburn’s Special Reserve

Post by JKristiansen »

My latest buy - on my way to complete the collection of Graham's Single Harvest ImageImage

Sendt fra min SM-G988B med Tapatalk

Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

That's a wonderful collection of the Single Harvest Wines!
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Post by flash_uk »

6 x Morrison’s 10YO. I ordered 12, but they tried to substitute six of them with Cockburn’s Special Reserve, which I declined...
JKristiansen

Post by JKristiansen »

Added a couple of bottles of Graham's Single Harvest 1995 to my collection of Graham's Single Harvest Image

Great graham's fan - especially their single harvest collection

H_Sterling

Post by H_Sterling »

Surprised to see a half-bottle of 1998 Warre's Quinta da Cavadinha on special offer at my local (not a national chain) supermarket. Already opened... :990066:
akzy

Post by akzy »

Duty paid Dow 1994 for £45. Seems like a really great price (usually this much in auction before the auction tax) and you can buy them individually! https://www.laywheeler.com/product-detail?id=66940021
Alex M
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by Alex M »

akzy wrote: 11:57 Mon 25 Jan 2021 Duty paid Dow 1994 for £45. Seems like a really great price (usually this much in auction before the auction tax) and you can buy them individually! https://www.laywheeler.com/product-detail?id=66940021
Use code LW0631 for orders over £100 to get £20 off if it's used with new account details.
nac
Fonseca 1980

Post by nac »

Finally managed to visit a Morrison’s and cleared shelf of 6 bottles of the 10YO Tawny. Will open first one for the Virtual Tasting #2.
Must remember to thank AHB for leaving some.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

akzy wrote: 11:57 Mon 25 Jan 2021 Duty paid Dow 1994 for £45. Seems like a really great price (usually this much in auction before the auction tax) and you can buy them individually! https://www.laywheeler.com/product-detail?id=66940021
That is a good price. When I looked in December, the best price I could find was at Seckfords, who were selling bottles for £52.50 duty paid.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
akzy

Post by akzy »

Alex Bridgeman wrote: 20:29 Tue 26 Jan 2021 That is a good price. When I looked in December, the best price I could find was at Seckfords, who were selling bottles for £52.50 duty paid.
I thought so too. I'm glad Alex M pointed out the code, 3 bottles at £38.33 each... absolute steal!
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

It looks like Julian hoovered up all of the Dow 1994 available from Lay & Wheeler! However, he left the Quarles Harris 1994 and Gould Campbell 1994. I’ve bought a little of each since I was previously quite sad that I didn’t have a Port from either of the shippers in my possession. I’m now going to keep my eyes out for some Offley and Ferreira.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

JacobH wrote: 10:30 Thu 28 Jan 2021It looks like Julian hoovered up all of the Dow 1994 available from Lay & Wheeler!
Not I. Bought none.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

Apologies for the false accusation! I got the impression you had been persuaded to buy some based on what was said at the virtual tasting.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

JacobH wrote: 08:44 Fri 29 Jan 2021I got the impression you had been persuaded to buy some based on what was said at the virtual tasting.
I’m not denying the Andresen 10Y white.
Christopher
Niepoort LBV

Post by Christopher »

Martinez 1955 bottled by Quellyn Robert’s and Co
winesecretary
Fonseca 1980

Post by winesecretary »

@ Christopher - Ah, I wondered who was going to pick those up. Well done. New bottler to me.