Little known port identification

Anything to do with Port.
Tom.herrick1987
Cruz Ruby

Little known port identification

Post by Tom.herrick1987 »

Hi folks,

After purchasing a bottle of port recently I wanted to find more about it buf after searching online I have drawn a blank. I dont kniw whether its a tawny, a colheita, a LBV or a vintage. Nor do I know the age although it looks 1930s? Can anyone shed some light on tasting notes, history and potential value?

Thanks in advanceImage

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: Little known port identification

Post by Andy Velebil »

Appears to be a 2 part mold bottle so not too terribly old.

I’d hazard a guess it’s a Ruby of some sort based on the “rich” part.

Value probably isn’t much. It was probably meant to drink decades ago. But should still be ok to drink just don’t expect greatness.
Tom.herrick1987
Cruz Ruby

Re: RE: Re: Little known port identification

Andy Velebil wrote:Appears to be a 2 part mold bottle so not too terribly old.

Value probably isn’t much. It was probably meant to drink decades ago. But should still be ok to drink just don’t expect greatness.
Thanks Andy. I'll decant I suspect rather than cellar :)

Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

Tom.herrick1987 wrote:

Good call. Do let us know how it was when you drink it.
Tom.herrick1987
Cruz Ruby

Andy Velebil wrote:
Tom.herrick1987 wrote:

Good call. Do let us know how it was when you drink it.
I'll get a decent selection of cheese in tomorrow, and give it a few hours of airing. Will do.

Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Please do post a pictur eor two of what the wine looks like when you pour it into a glass. These old rubies are a bit of fun to open as they are a snapshot of history, although a wine meant to be drunk shortly after being bottled.

Shorts was a London Wine merchant which was founded - as it says on the label - in 1726. It was still around in the years between the wars and vanished at some point after that. I can't figure out when.

I'd guess the bottle to be from the 1950s-1960s maybe.

Is there a back label?
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
Tom.herrick1987
Cruz Ruby

Hi alex, thanks for the info. There is a label on the back but nothing to note. Decanted it tonight but it is very murky. If it dropped bright i suspect more like a tawny. Sampled a mouthful. Very hot, licquorice, some clove, cloyingly sweet with a long finish but probably not very representative...

JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

Alex Bridgeman wrote: 23:23 Sat 06 Feb 2021Shorts was a London Wine merchant which was founded - as it says on the label - in 1726. It was still around in the years between the wars and vanished at some point after that. I can't figure out when.
I had a look and reached the same conclusion about being unable to find out what happened to it. I had wondered if they had lost their building in the war but it looks like it was a survivor (unlike the next few buildings going West on the South side the street). It seems at some point it was a pub called “The Chancery” but that is a rather unhelpful name for easy research.
Tom.herrick1987
Cruz Ruby

JacobH wrote:
Alex Bridgeman wrote: 23:23 Sat 06 Feb 2021Shorts was a London Wine merchant which was founded - as it says on the label - in 1726. It was still around in the years between the wars and vanished at some point after that. I can't figure out when.
I had a look and reached the same conclusion about being unable to find out what happened to it. I had wondered if they had lost their building in the war but it looks like it was a survivor (unlike the next few buildings going West on the South side the street). It seems at some point it was a pub called “The Chancery” but that is a rather unhelpful name for easy research.
Thanks interesting. Many thanks! :)

Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

These old rubies or tawnies often develop a very, very fine sediment over the years. This stays in suspension for an annoyingly long time. In my experience it doesn't really affect the taste, but it does make the wine look cloudy.

Hot, liquorice, cloves, sweet doesn't sound that unexpected. Give it a couple of hours and the heat might disappear. Who knows? These old bottles are an absolute lottery - and all the more fun as a result.

I have a bottle of Smith Woodhouse Vintage Character Port which I'm guessing was filled in the early 1970s. You've inspired me to open it sometime this week.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
Tom.herrick1987
Cruz Ruby

Alex Bridgeman wrote:These old rubies or tawnies often develop a very, very fine sediment over the years. This stays in suspension for an annoyingly long time. In my experience it doesn't really affect the taste, but it does make the wine look cloudy.

Hot, liquorice, cloves, sweet doesn't sound that unexpected. Give it a couple of hours and the heat might disappear. Who knows? These old bottles are an absolute lottery - and all the more fun as a result.

I have a bottle of Smith Woodhouse Vintage Character Port which I'm guessing was filled in the early 1970s. You've inspired me to open it sometime this week.
Hi alex, no it didnt. I often think like beer, we taste with our eyes and then with our nose before it even gets to our mouth. I'll give it a final day in the decanter before it gets enjoyed :) please do. Id be very interested how you get on!

Tom.herrick1987
Cruz Ruby

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Little known port identification

Tom.herrick1987 wrote:
Alex Bridgeman wrote:These old rubies or tawnies often develop a very, very fine sediment over the years. This stays in suspension for an annoyingly long time. In my experience it doesn't really affect the taste, but it does make the wine look cloudy.

Hi alex, no it didnt. I often think like beer, we taste with our eyes and then with our nose before it even gets to our mouth. I'll give it a final day in the decanter before it gets enjoyed :) please do. Id be very interested how you get on!

Left a day, dropped a good 5mm of sediment out and im glad I did leave it in the decanter a little longer. Phenolic taste has gone, hint of tobacco on the nose, date, fig and damson, medium to sweet finish. Very niceImageImage

jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

FWLIW, a 2018 book on Port Vintages has no mention of “Shorts” except in the cigar sense of “Partagas Shorts”.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

I saw that Vintage Wine and Port is selling a 1929 Vintage French Brandy from Short’s. A nice touch on the label is that they describe themselves as “Wine Merchants since the Reign of King George the First”!