On the hunt for a 93!

Anything to do with Port.
akzy
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Re: On the hunt for a 93!

Post by akzy »

JacobH wrote: 22:10 Fri 21 May 2021
Or a blend of 1994 and 1992 as I think Sophia Bergqvist said they did at Qdl Rosa!
The blend was very much "I have a bottle of 1992 and 1994 - let's mix". The cask in the lodge is nothing but a ruse apparently!
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

akzy wrote: 22:10 Fri 21 May 2021
DRT wrote: 22:07 Fri 21 May 2021 Exactly. My son was born in that year and this is the only stock he will ever have the chance to taste from his birth year. I have never tasted it.
Given you have so many, you should try at least one... Sooner rather than later.
I purchased them for my son and will taste one when he is ready to open it.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

JacobH wrote: 22:10 Fri 21 May 2021
DRT wrote: 22:07 Fri 21 May 2021Exactly. My son was born in that year and this is the only stock he will ever have the chance to taste from his birth year. I have never tasted it.
Do you know how / why they made a 1993 as their one-and-only Vintage Port?

(I assume if there was a birth in the family, a private reserve tawny would be more obvious. Or a blend of 1994 and 1992 as I think Sophia Bergqvist said they did at Qdl Rosa!)
They also bottled the 1992 and perhaps some others. The quinta is a vineyard that is part of Romaneira and is therefore similar concept to the few bottling of Qunita do Marco produced around the same time by Noval.
Ernest H. Cockburn
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

DRT wrote: 22:16 Fri 21 May 2021They also bottled the 1992 and perhaps some others. The quinta is a vineyard that is part of Romaneira and is therefore similar concept to the few bottling of Qunita do Marco produced around the same time by Noval.
Ah, interesting. VintagePort.se suggests the only other ones were a 1992 and a 2000 (without the “Quinta das”). A rather odd experiment by any standards!
MigSU

Post by MigSU »

DRT wrote: 22:09 Fri 21 May 2021
MigSU wrote: 21:54 Fri 21 May 2021I never understood why that wine is so expensive! Is it really that good?
I make no claim that it is good, bad or indifferent, just that it is the only VP produced from that vintage so is extremely rare.
I know, but still......€400+ per bottle for a - at best - passable Port? Jeez.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

MigSU wrote: 22:35 Fri 21 May 2021
MigSU wrote: 21:54 Fri 21 May 2021I never understood why that wine is so expensive! Is it really that good?
I make no claim that it is good, bad or indifferent, just that it is the only VP produced from that vintage so is extremely rare.
I didn't name a price, and they are available at almost half that amount so I am not really sure what point you are trying to make. Things have a price, which is different to the value placed on them by those who want or need to have them. I think Ferraris, Rolex watches and first editions of the Beano are ridiculously expensive, but I don't want one and am happy to leave them to those who do :wink:
Ernest H. Cockburn
akzy

Post by akzy »

MigSU wrote: 22:35 Fri 21 May 2021 I know, but still......€400+ per bottle for a - at best - passable Port? Jeez.
The supply is low so we have these inflated wine searcher prices. Keeping your eyes peeled they pop up for under €200 now and then.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: RE: Re: On the hunt for a 93!

Post by JacobH »

akzy wrote:
MigSU wrote: 22:35 Fri 21 May 2021 I know, but still......€400+ per bottle for a - at best - passable Port? Jeez.
The supply is low so we have these inflated wine searcher prices. Keeping your eyes peeled they pop up for under €200 now and then.
If you see the Quinta das Liceiras 1993 at less than €200 a bottle you have to be careful in case it's a Fonseca 1992 with a fake label ;-)
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: RE: Re: On the hunt for a 93!

Post by DRT »

JacobH wrote: 22:59 Fri 21 May 2021
akzy wrote:
If you see the Quinta das Liceiras 1993 at less than €200 a bottle you have to be careful in case it's a Fonseca 1992 with a fake label ;-)
:lol:
Ernest H. Cockburn
MigSU

Post by MigSU »

DRT wrote: 22:51 Fri 21 May 2021
MigSU wrote: 22:35 Fri 21 May 2021
I didn't name a price, and they are available at almost half that amount so I am not really sure what point you are trying to make. Things have a price, which is different to the value placed on them by those who want or need to have them. I think Ferraris, Rolex watches and first editions of the Beano are ridiculously expensive, but I don't want one and am happy to leave them to those who do :wink:
I understand your point of "a product is worth what someone is willing to pay for it", but I suppose I was never one to subscribe to that particular 'philosophy' (even though it's clearly a real thing).
I own no VPs from my birth year, as it's a terrible, terrible year. Ideally I'd own a few bottles, but whenever I see some come up for auction the price never reflects the (lack of) quality of the wine inside. I guess I'm just not that into symbolism :D
Chris Doty
Graham’s Malvedos 1996

Post by Chris Doty »

MigSU wrote: 23:16 Fri 21 May 2021

I understand your point of "a product is worth what someone is willing to pay for it", but I suppose I was never one to subscribe to that particular 'philosophy' (even though it's clearly a real thing).
I own no VPs from my birth year, as it's a terrible, terrible year. Ideally I'd own a few bottles, but whenever I see some come up for auction the price never reflects the (lack of) quality of the wine inside. I guess I'm just not that into symbolism :D
Port price expectations are ludicrously low. A burgundy half this rare, even pure vinegar, would sell for thousands
MigSU

Post by MigSU »

Chris Doty wrote: 23:26 Fri 21 May 2021

Port price expectations are ludicrously low. A burgundy half this rare, even pure vinegar, would sell for thousands
Perhaps. But rarity does not guarantee a good product. I'm willing to pay for quality, but not for rarity.

On a slight side note, and speaking as someone with his feet firmly on Douro ground: I'm glad that good quality Port is still a product that is somewhat affordable for the people that actually make it (by which of course I mean the people that work the wineries and vineyards, not CEOs). I dread to see the day when that is not the case, when the internal market is priced out of quality Port.

But I digress.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Chris Doty wrote: 23:26 Fri 21 May 2021

This.
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

MigSU wrote: 23:16 Fri 21 May 2021I guess I'm just not that into symbolism :D
Which is absolutely fine. Others are and don't need to feel they shouldn't. Each to their own.
Ernest H. Cockburn
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

MigSU wrote: 23:16 Fri 21 May 2021I understand your point of "a product is worth what someone is willing to pay for it", but I suppose I was never one to subscribe to that particular 'philosophy' (even though it's clearly a real thing).
I agree. I have never understood the birth year wine thing. But then I have never really understood collecting things when their scarcity is entirely disproportionate to their quality. For example, I was looking at the prices of antique stamps yesterday. You could buy a Penny Black in good condition for about £50. But if it has a certain watermark, it might cost you £1,000! I can never get my head around that. And I say that as someone who collects a lot of different things.
MigSU wrote: 23:34 Fri 21 May 2021
Chris Doty wrote: 23:26 Fri 21 May 2021 Port price expectations are ludicrously low. A burgundy half this rare, even pure vinegar, would sell for thousands
On a slight side note, and speaking as someone with his feet firmly on Douro ground: I'm glad that good quality Port is still a product that is somewhat affordable for the people that actually make it (by which of course I mean the people that work the wineries and vineyards, not CEOs). I dread to see the day when that is not the case, when the internal market is priced out of quality Port.
I, respectfully, disagree with Chris here. Burgundy prices are entirely insane. Ditto claret. I know that, and can understand why, some of the Port shippers look wistfully over to France or the States but there is not particular reason why prices should be so high. And, as you say, drinking first rate claret or burgundy is already out of the reach to people on average salaries and it would be a shame if that happened to Port, too.
Chris Doty
Graham’s Malvedos 1996

Post by Chris Doty »

JacobH wrote: 09:39 Sat 22 May 2021
I, respectfully, disagree with Chris here. Burgundy prices are entirely insane. Ditto claret. I know that, and can understand why, some of the Port shippers look wistfully over to France or the States but there is not particular reason why prices should be so high.

And, as you say, drinking first rate claret or burgundy is already out of the reach to people on average salaries and it would be a shame if that happened to Port, too.
[/quote]

So...burgundy is crazy expensive. So is Bordeaux. So is Napa. Been to champagne lately?! Piedmont?! Germany?! So if the entire wine world is cray expensive ... and port is dirt cheap... aren’t we making my point?

Don’t get me wrong, I’m trilled port is cheap a f

The whole reason I got into port when moved to London is that it’s 35pct cheaper on your side of the pond (we fetishize old wines, not having many domestics). I want port to stay free, but let’s be real. The very rarest and maybe not always the best but least likely to ever 🐝 seen again.... those should start around $1,000 per 750, which would still be insanely cheap next to right bank cults or Any CdN red burg
Chris Doty
Graham’s Malvedos 1996

Post by Chris Doty »

JacobH wrote: 09:39 Sat 22 May 2021

And I say that as someone who collects a lot of different things.
Well met
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

Chris Doty wrote: 10:37 Sat 22 May 2021 So...burgundy is crazy expensive. So is Bordeaux. So is Napa. Been to champagne lately?! Piedmont?! Germany?! So if the entire wine world is cray expensive ... and port is dirt cheap... aren’t we making my point?

Don’t get me wrong, I’m trilled port is cheap a f

The whole reason I got into port when moved to London is that it’s 35pct cheaper on your side of the pond (we fetishize old wines, not having many domestics). I want port to stay free, but let’s be real. The very rarest and maybe not always the best but least likely to ever 🐝 seen again.... those should start around $1,000 per 750, which would still be insanely cheap next to right bank cults or Any CdN red burg
I guess I’m not sure I think that the entire wine world is crazy expensive. For every over-priced bottle of claret, champagne or barolo that gets sold, there is one insanely under-priced bottle of sherry, tokaji, Muscat de Rivesaltes etc. etc. Or even with table wine: prices might be creeping up in the Douro but there are stacks of affordable ones from there and other regions that would probably prevail in a re-run of the Judgement of Paris...

Sadly COVID means I haven’t been to any of those places since a trip to Turin + Alba for the truffle festival in November 2019 but that’s another story!
MigSU

Post by MigSU »

You're all invited to a Port & Douro DOC extravaganza.
Chris Doty
Graham’s Malvedos 1996

Post by Chris Doty »

MigSU wrote: 13:08 Sat 22 May 2021 You're all invited to a Port & Douro DOC extravaganza.
I know no category of wine more undervalued than red 2011 Douro doc

Ymmv
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

JacobH wrote: 09:39 Sat 22 May 2021I, respectfully, disagree with Chris here. Burgundy prices are entirely insane. Ditto claret.
I think that was complete agreement, so no need to be respectful.

In the UK well-made wine can cost as little as a minimum-wage hour. No, not connoisseur-fancy, nor rare, but still well-made wine which can be drunk with pleasure — which I do drink with pleasure. To live here in this age is a fine privilege.
Chris Doty
Graham’s Malvedos 1996

Post by Chris Doty »

This^
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Chris Doty wrote: 10:37 Sat 22 May 2021So...burgundy is crazy expensive. So is Bordeaux. So is Napa. Been to champagne lately?! Piedmont?! Germany?! So if the entire wine world is cray expensive ... and port is dirt cheap... aren’t we making my point?
Yes.

Compared to those regions new vintages of top quality VP are very inexpensive. The best of the VPs are priced at around the same as 5th growth claret and (astonishingly) are about the same price as a 1985 from the same house. I can completely understand why the Port producers are charging the prices they are for the special releases of mature VP and Colheita ports in recent years. Can you imagine the price of a 100 yr old ex-cellers Ch Lafite? :shock:
Ernest H. Cockburn
MigSU

Post by MigSU »

Chris Doty wrote: 10:37 Sat 22 May 2021 So...burgundy is crazy expensive. So is Bordeaux. So is Napa. Been to champagne lately?! Piedmont?! Germany?! So if the entire wine world is cray expensive ... and port is dirt cheap... aren’t we making my point?
No.
Those places are overpriced, driven by people with more money than sense that lack a broader knowledge of wine-producing regions around the world (i.e., they are ignorant of the fact that fantastic wine can be found in many different regions, at all sorts of price points and in all sorts of styles). This is then compounded by opportunists and wine brokers, that buy to sell, further driving up prices.

Port is priced fairly (the fact that those prices don't then 'trickle down' to the price at which big Port houses buy their grapes is a topic for another time). Except for 'regular' vintage Ports from brands that now have super-mega-premium Ports (your Stone Terraces, Capela, etc) - these are now overpriced.
Think about it:

- these premium Ports are made from the allegedly best plots;
- so before they came about the grapes from these plots were going into the 'regular' vintage Ports;
- which means that 'regular' VPs are now made without the grapes from the allegedly best plots, so, technically, the average quality of the grapes went down;
- they remain at the same price, though.

'Regular' VPs from shippers with premium VPs are now overpriced, QED.
hadge
Niepoort LBV

Post by hadge »

I find this is a very interesting debate and pleased to know that I have more money than sense and I lack a broad knowledge of wine regions because I buy Burgundy and Bordeaux EP.

I was just looking at the Port EP prices vs Bordeaux vs Burgundy, yes there is a large gap at the very very top but less so below

but in Burgundy EP you can pick up amazing 1er Cru for the same price as Sandeman or Taylors 18 EP, even some GC in the CdB if you like the hill of Corton.

In Bordeaux you can get Gruaud Larose, Leoville Poyferre which are 2ème Cru Classé for the same price above.

yes, I agree that DRC, Leroy, Haut Brion, Margaux, etc are priced on a different level vs the new premium Ports.

The interesting part of this debate is that we are saying £325 for 6 wines in-bond is cheap!